[ESIP-all] Monday Updates: ESIP Summer Meeting | NOAA EDMC this week | May Giovanni News | Linked Science Workshop @ International Semantic Web Conf.

Erin Robinson erinrobinson at esipfed.org
Mon Jun 20 09:36:54 EDT 2011

Hi All -

Mondays seem to be coming faster and faster as we get closer to the ESIP
Summer Meeting <http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Summer_2011_Meeting>. This
week I wanted to point your attention to a few key things:
* *Last call for poster abstracts.* There is space in the
registration<http://www.regonline.com/esipfederationsummermeeting2011>for
one abstract. If you have more than one poster, send second abstract
with a note. After Friday, we will not be able to accomodate additional
posters.
* *Emergent Meetings.* One of the things that ESIP is known for is the great
place to network. There will be space available throughout the entire
meeting, for groups to meet on the fly.
** FUNding Friday <http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/FUNding_Friday>.* Two
types of prizes are available. $5000 for ESIP member collaborations and
$3000 to support a student project. Both prizes also include travel to the
Winter Meeting in D.C. Students do not have to be present to win, they can
submit a poster virtually (email me).

Other activities around the Federation:

*NOAA's Environmental Data Management Conference (#NOAAEDMC) - June 20-22*
I will be tweeting highlights from the meeting through the @ESIPFed
account<https://twitter.com/#!/ESIPFed>.
If you are interested in participating
virtually<https://esipfed.webex.com/mw0306ld/mywebex/default.do?siteurl=esipfed&service=1>,
some of the sessions on data Management and data access will be streamed and
recorded for viewing later.

*From Jim Acker (NASA Goddard) - May 2011 issue of The Giovanni News
here<http://1.usa.gov/iAdQAr>(PDF)
*
The May issue of The Giovanni News, which features articles about different
aspects of the NASA Giovanni data analysis system, is now available online
as a PDF document.    This issue features articles on several topics of
interest, including:

   * the Year of Tropical Convection (YOTC) Giovanni, which allows users to
preview the next generation (Giovanni-4) architecture;
   * early returns on 2011 publications, which are appearing at a rate of 10
per month;
   * updates to Ocean Color Radiometry data products, including chlorophyll
fluorescence;
   * an introduction to the Data-enhanced Investigations for Climate Change
Education (DICCE) project;
   * an examination of coffee agriculture in Guatemala and the potential
influence of climate change;
   * more videos of Giovanni-based sea surface temperature models set to
music;
   * a look at the precipitation associated with flooding and tornadoes in
the United States in April 2011;  and
   * how Giovanni and other tools available at the NASA Goddard Earth
Sciences Data and Information Services Center (GES DISC) are helping to
bridge the gap between NASA hydrological data and the geospatial information
community.

*From Line Pouchard (DataONE Integration and Semantics WG, ORNL) - 1st
International Linked Science Workshop at the International Semantic Web
Conference <http://data.linkedscience.org/events/lisc2011
http://iswc2011.semanticweb.org/workshops/> *
Line is co-organizing this workshop co-located with the 10th International
Semantic Web Conference in Bonn, Germany, October 23-27.  This is in fact, a
merger between a workshop she proposed for earth science and climate change
informatics and a workshop about Linked data in biology, at the ISWC
conference organizer’s request.

In the workshop we will discuss whether and how new emerging technologies (
Linked Data, and semantic technologies more generally) can realize the
vision of Linked Science. We see that this depends on their enabling
capability throughout the research process, leading up to extended
publications and data sharing environments. Our workshop aims to address
challenges related to enabling the easy creation of data bundles – data,
processes, tools, provenance and annotation – supporting both publication
and reuse of the data. Secondly,  we look for tools and methods for the easy
correlation, integration and synthesis of shared data. This problem is often
found in many disciplines (including astronomy, biology, climate change
research, geosciences, cultural heritage, etc.), as they need to span
techniques, levels of theory, scales, and disciplines. With the advent of
Linked Science, it is timely and crucial to address these identified
research challenges through both practical and formal approaches.

Telecons this week <https://esipfed.webex.com/media/redir/index.html>:
* Decisions, Wed 3 EDT
* Education, Thurs, 2 EDT (moved from last week)
* Energy/Climate, Thurs, 3 EDT
* Air Quality, Fri, 1:30 EDT

Have a great week!

Erin

*Erin Robinson*
Information and Virtual Community Director
Foundation for Earth Science | 314.369.9954 | erinrobinson at esipfed.org
www.esipfed.org
[image: Facebook]<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Federation-of-Earth-Science-Information-Partners-ESIP/150015055044779>
 [image: Twitter] <http://www.twitter.com/ESIPFed> [image: