[ESIP-all] AAAS press announces TERC's Earth Exploration Toolbook has received the Science Prize for Online Resource in Education (SPORE Award)

Tamara Ledley tamara_ledley at terc.edu
Sat Oct 1 10:29:31 EDT 2011

Hi Everyone,

  I am very excited to share with you that the Earth Exploration Toolbook
(http://serc.carleton.edu/eet)  has received the Science Prize for Online
Resource in Education (SPORE award) from AAAS.  Below is the link to the
press release from AAAS.  The award also includes the publication of an
essay in Science Magazine about the educational resource. I am including a
link to the essay as well.

 The discussions that led to the proposal for the initial funding of the
Earth Exploration Toolbook occurred within the DLESE Community and the
ESIP Federation Education Committee.  Some of the partners with TERC on
that original grant came from the Education Committee members.  Once the
Earth Exploration Toolbook was established other funding - DLESE Data
Services and AccessData - allowed us to engage teams focused Earth Science
datasets and analysis tools to create additional EET chapters.  A lot of
those teams were ESIP Federation members.  We also piloted using the venue
of the ESIP Federation Meeting to facilitate a team from the Air Quality
Work Group (then Cluster) to create an EET chapter.

Thanks to everyone in the ESIP Federation who has participated in some way
in bringing the Earth Exploration Toolbook to this level; and thanks to
the ESIP Federation as a whole for enabling the collaborations it
required.

Thanks again

Tamara

Journal Science gives SPORE award to 'Earth Exploration Toolbook' (press
release)
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2011-09/aaft-jg092311.php

Making Earth Science Data Accessible and Usable in Education (Science
Magazine Essay)
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/333/6051/1838.full?rss=1

Tamara Shapiro Ledley, PhD
Senior Scientist, TERC