[ESIP-all] Rob Raskin

Zlotnicki, Victor (3240) victor.zlotnicki at jpl.nasa.gov
Sun Feb 26 22:15:32 EST 2012

I visited Rob in the Hospital (Kaiser in Panorama City). Lisa was not there at the time, although we had spoken over the phone earlier.

Rob breathes through a respirator and is otherwise unresponsive. His face is peaceful. He is well taken care of (I was asked to don a gown and gloves to enter his room).

I read him each of the emails you sent, and each entry in his Facebook wall, emphasizing the sender so he understands how widely loved he is. Lisa had suggested reading the emails, since it is quite possible that his mind is awake.

The wife of one of my former graduate school advisors had a stroke and entered a vegetative state while I was still a student. All his students took turns going in and speaking to her as if she was responsive, but for a few months only. Then, one day, several years later, she woke up, and her brain was just fine. The body can do amazing things.

Of course, I left the printouts in his room.

Let us continue to hope and pray for his full recovery.

Victor