[ESIP-all] AGU Session ED024: Improving Student Retention in the Geosciences

Hall, Michelle K mihall at nsf.gov
Tue Jul 24 10:18:08 EDT 2012

Dear Colleagues,

We are pleased to announce Special Session ED024 entitled Improving Student Retention in the Geosciences at the 2012 Fall American Geophysical Union meeting on 3-7 December 2012 in San Francisco, California.  The talks will focus on successful strategies needed to recruit and retain undergraduate students in the geosciences.

Please consider submitting an abstract for this Education session. The deadline for abstracts is 8 August 2012. http://agu-fm12.abstractcentral.com/

AGU 2012 Meeting information is available at http://fallmeeting.agu.org/2012/.

SESSION DESCRIPTION: The current attrition rate in many college STEM degree programs is 50% or higher. While there is great interest in improving the retention of students who enter college intending to major in STEM, we are still exploring effective and sustainable approaches that might be used to meet these goals. The need to assess and disseminate information about successful programs is a high priority in light of national goals for STEM education and funding opportunities. This session will include descriptions of programs that have documented success of improving the retention rate of students majoring in STEM degrees.

We look forward to hearing from you and thank your for considering this opportunity to share your research and applications insights. Please forgive us if you receive multiple postings as we are seeking to distribute this announcement broadly to reach as many as appropriate.

Sincerely,

Michelle Hall (mihall at nsf.gov<mailto:mihall at nsf.gov>), Lisa Rom (elrom at nsf.gov<mailto:elrom at nsf.gov>), Lina Patino (lpatino at nsf.gov<mailto:lpatino at nsf.gov>) and Jill Karsten (jkarsten at nsf.gov<mailto:jkarsten at nsf.gov>)

National Science Foundation,  Geosciences Directorate