[ESIP-all] Reminder - Abstract due August 8 for AGU session IN022: Envisioning Improvements for Earth Science Data Access

David J Meyer dmeyer at usgs.gov
Wed Aug 1 16:54:10 EDT 2012

Friends and Colleagues:

Envision long time series of Earth science observations from multiple
instruments which  command scales from global to local environments.  Now
imagine that academics, industry and government agencies have lowered the
most common data access barriers.

What technologies will influence data access in the future?  What scalable
capabilities are being planned and implemented? What solutions are there
to the tough problems that still challenge?

We encourage you to take this opportunity to bring your priorities for
evolving our next generation data systems by submitting a paper to the
following session.

Abstracts for the AGU Fall Meeting (3-7 Dec, SFO) can be submitted until
August 8th.

Session IN022: Envisioning Improvements for Earth Science Data Access

Session Abstract: New Earth observations and data access methods are
expected to enable and advance research opportunities.  Capabilities are
being implemented orplanned by institutional centers and facilities that
hold collections of Earth science data.
These data systems generally aspire to a set of tenets which include:
stewardship of data through its lifetime, data and system
interoperability, rapid data delivery, multiple search and access paths
through open interfaces, data transparency, client/user access to data set
experts, and system evolution responsive to changing user needs.

The session covers topics on expected improvements in Earth science
information services for data centers.  We also request submissions from
the data center and data producer communities, which assess their progress
on the above stated tenets.   Special interest topics include scalable
systems and projects which guide effective Web services portals for
complexdata types; user data access methods and tools, interoperability
among centers including Open Search protocols, use of standards such the
Open GIS Consortium (OGC) and the Open Network Data Access Protocol
(OpenDAP), ISO metadata, standard formats such as NetCDF, HDF or Geotiff
and archive information packaging.

Please consider submitting an abstract.  We would like to here from you
about your ideas and plans.  The AGU website has instructions on abstract
submission at
http://fallmeeting.agu.org/2012/

Regards,
John Moses,  john.f.moses at nasa.gov