[ESIP-all] GHRC DAAC Announcement

Harrison, Sherry SHarrison at itsc.uah.edu
Wed Aug 8 16:40:42 EDT 2012

**Our apologies if you get this announcement more than once due to the use of multiple mailing lists.**

Dear Colleagues,

The Global Hydrology Resource Center (GHRC DAAC)<http://ghrc.nsstc.nasa.gov/>, a NASA EOSDIS data center managed jointly by NASA MSFC and the University of Alabama in Huntsville<http://www.uah.edu/>, is pleased to announce the release of the version 7 SSMI/SSMIS F08, F10, F11, F13, F14, F15, F17 Ocean Product Suite from Remote Sensing Systems (RSS)<http://www.ssmi.com/> in netCDF (v4) format, as part of the NASA Making Earth Science Data Records for Use in Research Environments (MEaSUREs) Program.

The RSS Ocean Product Suite includes the following data products for the SSMI/SSMIS instruments on the DMSP F08, F10, F11, F13, F14, F15, F17 polar orbiting satellites:

  RSS SSM/I Ocean Products Grids Daily
  RSS SSM/I Ocean Products Grids 3-Day Average
  RSS SSM/I Ocean Products Grids Weekly Average
  RSS SSM/I Ocean Products Grids Monthly Average

RSS has reprocessed data from the satellite microwave radiometers (aboard DMSP-F08, F10, F11, F13, F14, F15, and F17) to a common calibration standard using their newest radiative transfer model, version 7.   In collaboration with RSS, the GHRC DAAC is working to improve the access and utilization of these passive microwave data products, in order to support even wider use of these data in new and continuing research.  RSS distributes their data in a compact, binary format.  The same ocean products are now archived and distributed at the GHRC DAAC in netCDF-4.

The latest version of netCDF (v4) is a widely accepted format, with recent improvements in capabilities and library support.  Many tools for data access, analysis and visualization support netCDF without the need for further translation or processing, making it easy for users to incorporate these capabilities into their workflows and research needs.  More information on netCDF can be found in SSMI_Data_in_NetCDF.docx<ftp://ghrc.nsstc.nasa.gov/pub/doc/ssmi_netcdf/SSMI_Data_in_NetCDF.docx>.

These datasets can be ordered from the GHRC using the Hydrologic Data search, Retrieval, and Order system (HyDRO) at http://ghrc.nsstc.nasa.gov/hydro/ and NASA's Reverb at http://reverb.echo.nasa.gov/.  The original binary data files are available from RSS at http://www.ssmi.com/ssmi/ssmi_browse.html.

Documentation for these datasets is available at ftp://ghrc.nsstc.nasa.gov/pub/doc/ssmi_netcdf/.

The GHRC would like to thank you for using our data.  We always welcome feedback on our data services.  Please send all comments to GHRC Users Services at ghrcdaac at itsc.uah.edu<mailto:ghrcdaac at itsc.uah.edu>.

Sincerely,  GHRC User Services

Sherry Harrison
UAHuntsville
Global Hydrology Resource Center DAAC