[ESIP-all] temperature / precip data access?

Bruce Barkstrom brbarkstrom at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 08:58:37 EST 2012

GHCN data is not raster image data.  The individual rain gage stations
are primarily located on continents with a much higher density of
stations in India and very low density in areas such as the Arctic
and Antarctic, as well as desserts.

The format from the National Climatic Data Center is not organized
to create tables with rows that have fields.  That isn't to say one
couldn't reformat the data to that form, but it isn't the current format.
I believe that the NOAA ERL (Boulder) web site has raingage data available
in some alternate formats.

For the monthly average data, each "record" is a collection of
twelve monthly averages for a particular station.  Thus, it's probably
easier to think of the data as being segments of a longer record.
For some purposes, the original data can be reformatted to stitch
together a complete time series for a particular station - although
the length of the time interval varies from station to station.

The temperature records and the Integrated Radiosonde data
(IGRA) have moderately similar formats to the precipitation data.
The radiosonde data are probably easier to visualize as "pins"
sticking out of a spherical Earth - again with a very non-uniform
areal density.

Bruce B.