[ESIP-all] BESSIG Jan Meeting Wed, 1/16, 4:00 - 6:00, Outlook Hotel

Anne Wilson anne.wilson at lasp.colorado.edu
Tue Jan 8 23:46:35 EST 2013

Hi ESIP,

If you're in Boulder next Wednesday, January 16, please consider joining
us at our Boulder Earth and Space Science Informatics Group meeting.
Our speaker will be Stephan Williams, from CU Boulder's Office of
Faculty Affairs.  Stephen's topic is:

"VIVO, VITRO, DataStar, and Beyond - The VIVO Project"

The VIVO project was started at Cornell University in 2003 as a faculty
profiling system for Mann Library.  The profiling system that is VIVO
was designed in two parts, VITRO the semantic engine that is ontology
agnostic and VIVO the ontology specific pages and data for presenting
faculty profiles.  This concept of a two tied system was taken into the
third tier with location specific changes (Cornell and CU-Boulder) and
ontologies that build upon VIVO (data star).  This talk will focus on
the VIVO project as a whole, its history, its ancillary projects, and
its future.  We'll also try to cover difficulties and lessons in
semantic programming and the experiences of building ETL tools for
semantic data.

Full meeting details are available at
http://lasp.colorado.edu/galaxy/display/BESSIG/2013/01/08/BESSIG+Meeting+Wed%2C+Jan+16%2C+4+-+6+PM.

Also, if you or someone you know is coming to Boulder and might be
interested in speaking with us, please let me know.  We're open to any
kind of interesting meeting: presentations, panel discussions, posters,
whatever.   To some extent we can handle remote speakers, so presenting
that way is also an option.   Again, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Anne