[ESIP-all] Third Call for participation: 2013 Robert Raskin Mashup Mapping Competition

Qunying Huang qhuang1 at gmu.edu
Fri Jan 18 20:56:42 EST 2013

ThirdCall for participation: 2013 Robert RaskinMashup Mapping Competition

Sponsored by AAG Cyberinfrastructure Specialty Group

Important change:  The First Prize has increased to $700 and a certificate.

Submission Deadline: February 11, 2013.

Cyberinfrastructure has been taking an increasingly important role in providing a Web-based collaborative environment to enable effective discovery of geospatial knowledge. To (1) promote research and awareness of web-based GIS and Mashup applications, (2) encourage spatial thinking and the development of geospatial cyberinfrastructure in colleges and universities in the United States, and (3) inspire curiosity about geographic patterns and web map representation for students and the broader public, we announce the “First Robert RaskinMashup Mapping Competition”, which will take place during the AAG Annual Meeting in Los Angeles, April 9-13, 2013. This map competition is sponsored by the AAG Cyberinfrastructure Specialty Group (CISG)and hosted at San Diego State University.

Full-time college students at all levels are encouraged to submit their mashup mapping solutions. Participants can use any commercial or open-source toolkit such as ArcGIS online, ArcGIS Server APIs, Google Map APIs, Bing Map APIs, OpenStreet maps, ,ArcGIS Runtime SDKs for Smartphones and Tablets,OpenLayersetc. to develop mashup maps. The map should be accessed via web browsers and be connected at least two different online data resources (for "mashup"). Each submission should create a three minutes short introduction video to demonstrate the key functions of the mashup map. CISG will convert the video to Youtube for public voting. Recommended application areas include, but not limited to: crime, public health issues, transportation, climate, urban planning, and disaster of all kinds.

The best submission will be awarded the “First Prize in 2013 Robert RaskinMashup Mapping Competition” with $700and a certificate. We will also provide travel fund ($100 per person) for the top five candidates to give an oral presentation at the AAG annual meeting. Meanwhile, we will also announce the “Most Popular Mashup Award” (no in-person attendance to AAG required) at the meeting according to the online voting results. The recipient will be awarded $200 and a certificate as well.

We are now open to submissions and the deadline is February 11, 2013.

For detailed information about this competition and contest rules, please visit our website at: http://mappingideas.sdsu.edu/mashup/. If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, please contact: bmc at geography.sdsu.edu.

We look forwarding to your submissions!