[ESIP-all] AGU sessions on responses to the OSTP memo ...

Joe Hourcle oneiros at grace.nascom.nasa.gov
Thu Apr 18 23:32:04 EDT 2013

I've got two sessions in draft, one as Union, one as ESSI ... if anyone thinks that I should really submit another one in PA so that we can use that loophole in the abstract limits, let me know.  (although, I'll probably ask you to help convene, so we can spread the load around).

But if anyone else wants to volunteer to be a convener, let me know, as I've got room for 1 more ... and extras wouldn't hurt if we get lots of submissions and have to do the multiple poster session thing.

-Joe

=====
CONTROL ID: 1712395
PRESENTATION TYPE: Session Proposal
TITLE: Access to U.S. Funded Science Research
AUTHORS (FIRST NAME INITIAL LAST NAME): J. A. Hourcle(1), T. A. King(3), N. A. Ritchey(2)
INSTITUTIONS (ALL):
	1. SDAC, NASA/GSFC (Wyle), Greenbelt, MD, United States.
	2. NESDIS, NOAA, Asheville, NC, United States.
	3. IGPP, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA, United States.

On February 22nd, the Office of Science and Technical Policy issued a memo on "Increasing Access to the Results of Federally Funded Science Research", in which they directed federal agencies to issue plans to increase public access to the results of the unclassified research they fund, with the goal of improving the impact and accountability of research investment.

This session will give representatives of the US Federal agencies that fund geophysical research a forum to discuss their responses to the OSTP memo and the actions they will be taking as a result.

CURRENT SECTION/FOCUS GROUP: Union (invitation only) (U)
CO-SPONSORING SECTION(S):
INDEX TERMS:
	[1930] INFORMATICS / Data and information governance,
	[6620] PUBLIC ISSUES / Science policy,
	[6615] PUBLIC ISSUES / Legislation and regulations,
	[1999] INFORMATICS / General or miscellaneous.
=====

=====
CONTROL ID: 1712430
PRESENTATION TYPE: Session Proposal
TITLE: Improving Public Access to Science Research
AUTHORS (FIRST NAME INITIAL LAST NAME): J. A. Hourcle(1), T. A. King(3), N. A. Ritchey(2)
INSTITUTIONS (ALL):
	1. SDAC, NASA/GSFC (Wyle), Greenbelt, MD, United States.
	2. NESDIS, NOAA, Asheville, NC, United States.
	3. IGPP, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA, United States.

On February 22nd, the Office of Science and Technical Policy issued a memo on "Increasing Access to the Results of Federally Funded Science Research", in which they directed federal agencies to issue plans to increase public access to the results of the unclassified research they fund, with the goal of improving the impact and accountability of research investment.

This session solicits submissions on projects and programs that address issues mentioned in the memo, including:

* improving findability, accessibility, and usability of data;
* balancing long-term preservation and costs;
* identity and attribution of data;
* training, education and workforce development in data management;
* developing, promoting and sustaining data repositories;

CURRENT SECTION/FOCUS GROUP:
	Earth and Space Science Informatics (IN)
CO-SPONSORING SECTION(S):
	Atmospheric Sciences (A),
	Atmospheric and Space Electricity (AE),
	Biogeosciences (B),
	Cryosphere (C),
	Earth and Planetary Surface Processes (EP),
	Education (ED),
	Geodesy (G),
	Geomagnetism and Paleomagnetism (GP),
	Global Environmental Change (GC),
	Hydrology (H),
	Mineral and Rock Physics (MR),
	Natural Hazards (NH),
	Near Surface Geophysics (NS),
	Nonlinear Geophysics (NG),
	Ocean Sciences (OS),
	Paleoceanography and Paleoclimatology (PP),
	Planetary Sciences (P),
	Public Affairs (PA),
	Seismology (S),
	Societal Impacts and Policy Sciences (SI),
	SPA-Aeronomy (SA),
	SPA-Magnetospheric Physics (SM),
	SPA-Solar and Heliospheric Physics (SH),
	Study of Earth's Deep Interior (DI),
	Tectonophysics (T),
	Volcanology, Geochemistry, and Petrology (V)

INDEX TERMS:
	[1930] INFORMATICS / Data and information governance,
	[6615] PUBLIC ISSUES / Legislation and regulations,
	[9820] GENERAL OR MISCELLANEOUS / Techniques applicable in three or more fields,