[ESIP-all] ship wakes

James Frew frew at bren.ucsb.edu
Thu Aug 15 14:39:24 EDT 2013

On 2013-08-14 20:56, Joe Hourcle wrote:
>> From: Barbara Thompson <barbara.j.thompson at gmail.com>
>> Date: August 14, 2013 11:05:21 PM EDT
>> 3) We've had several people point out that although many Earth Science
>> imagers have too low of resolution to find a 70-foot vessel, the wake of
>> the ship can extend for some distance and may be able to be seen in 250m
>> resolution data.

You won't see the wake of a drifting 20m vessel in 250m imagery. (I'm
assuming the boat is drifting, as opposed to deliberately evading
detection.) The work I've seen on ship detection with MODIS is looking
for big (~300m) ships, and is most successful at detecting exhaust plumes.

High-res optical imagery is your best bet. I wholeheartedly second Peter
C.'s recommendation that you train the process on known imagery of the
boat---if you can't find it when you know where to look, then you
probably should try something else.

Good luck,
/Frew