[ESIP-all] Linked Data & the government shutdown ...

Joe Hourcle oneiros at grace.nascom.nasa.gov
Tue Oct 1 06:58:43 EDT 2013

As part of an 'orderly shutdown' or whatever it is that they're telling us to do ...

I'd like to make a request of any groups hosting linked open data resources from government systems to make a backup of that data, and hand it off to some external site, in case this runs too long.

There's been a suggestion on the code4lib mailing list of using Internet Archive's Wayback Machine[1], but without a chance to test to ensure it's complete (and how to easily remap everything), that might not work for everything.

So, if your data is already open ... please make a copy and hand it off for safe keeping ... hopefully whoever you hand it off to can then serve it back out to the world, or put it somewhere for people who depend on it to grab.  (eg, someone grabbed the id.loc.gov dumps and put it on amazon web services)[2]

-Joe

[1] Begin forwarded message:

> From: "Ford, Kevin" <kefo at LOC.GOV>
> Date: September 30, 2013 4:44:56 PM EDT
> To: CODE4LIB at LISTSERV.ND.EDU
> Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] [CODE4LIB] HEADS UP - Government shutdown will mean *.loc.gov is going offline October 1
>
> All *.loc.gov web sites will be "closed," including the two you quoted.
>
> The Internet Archive's Way Back Machine is probably your best bet for these types of things:
>
> http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.loc.gov/marc/
> http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.loc.gov/standards/sourcelist/index.html
>
> Yours,
> Kevin
>
> --
> Kevin Ford
> Network Development and MARC Standards Office
> Library of Congress
> Washington, DC

[2]