[ESIP-all] Disaster Response vs. Disaster Prediction (was: ESIP Disaster Response cluster)

Joe Hourcle oneiros at grace.nascom.nasa.gov
Mon Feb 3 09:41:11 EST 2014

On the discussion of geo-effective solar storms, asteroids, etc.

There was a lot of discussion about what events qualify as a disaster ... but most of those assume some sort of event has actually occurred.  Based on the original mission statement that Emily sent out (parts extracted below), prediction is never mentioned.

Prediction might be a bit of a sore subject, particularly with the 2012 conviction of scientists in Abruzzo, Italy for not giving sufficient warning of earthquakes:

	http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/italy-abruzzo-earthquake-scientist-trial/

NASA's CCMC (Community Coordinated Modeling Center) got in trouble for giving the public different predictions than NOAA's SWPC (Space Weather Prediction Center), and my understanding is that NASA's not allowed to give predictions of solar storms any more ... at least not for the general public to consume.

And, unrelated to the rest of this -- I'd also make sure that you talk to the people from EPA -- they had a lot of insight into what was important data in the case of emergencies after Katrina.  (stuff like where were there potential hazards (eg. chemicals) that needed to be dealt with)

-Joe