[ESIP-all] Meeting Venues and Climate Change

Armstrong, Edward M (398M) Edward.M.Armstrong at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Feb 5 12:21:02 EST 2014

+1 on this statement.  Captures the pros and super big con in two sentences.

On Feb 5, 2014, at 9:08 AM, Lynnes, Christopher S. (GSFC-6102) <christopher.s.lynnes at nasa.gov<mailto:christopher.s.lynnes at nasa.gov>> wrote:

On Feb 5, 2014, at 11:56 AM, Erin Robinson <erinrobinson at esipfed.org<mailto:erinrobinson at esipfed.org>> wrote:

Hi Bruce,
This is something near and dear to my heart.

The entire ESIP meeting is streamed via Webex and available for free. We have done this for the last 6 meetings. We also share our webex capabilities with other agencies to support remote capacity for their meetings too. There is research however that moving entirely virtual all the time is not the silver bullet and there is necessity for in person meetings.

There is always space for continued improvement of hybrid meetings. It would be helpful to discuss this on next Monday's visioneers call.

I have noticed that if you are just listening/watching, virtual presence can be almost as good as the real thing.  But when you are trying to contribute/participate/present, the impact difference between a disembodied voice and an actual person is quite significant.  Even when the logistics work out perfectly.