[ESIP-all] Fwd: European Sentinel Satellite dedicated to the COPERNICUS programme launched on 03 April 2014

David Arctur [OGC] darctur at opengeospatial.org
Thu Apr 10 08:12:11 EDT 2014

fyi-- new EO satellite launched... from attached press release:

> Sentinel-1 is the first of the six missions in the framework of the Copernicus initiative. The
> Sentinel-1 mission is composed of a constellation of two polar-orbiting satellites, Sentinel-
> 1A and Sentinel-1B, sharing the same orbital plane, operating day and night, performing
> Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR) imaging.
> Sentinel-1A is operated in four imaging modes with different resolution (down to 10 m)
> and coverage (up to 250 km), offering reliable, and repeated wide area monitoring. It is
> designed to work in a pre-programmed operation mode, imaging all global landmasses,
> coastal zones and shipping routes at high resolution, covering the global ocean. This
> ensures the reliability of service required by operational services and a consistent long
> term data archive built for applications based on long time series.
>
> Sentinel-1A services include applications such as:
> •  Monitoring sea ice zones and the Arctic environment
> •  Surveillance of marine environment, including oil-spill monitoring and ship detection
> for maritime security
> •  Monitoring land surface motion risks
> •  Mapping of land surfaces: forest, water and soil, sustainable agriculture
> •  Mapping in support of humanitarian aid in crisis situations
> •  Climate monitoring

Cheers!
dka

Begin forwarded message:

From: GEO Secretariat <secretariat at GEOSEC.ORG>
Subject: European Sentinel Satellite dedicated to the COPERNICUS programme launched on 03 April 2014
Date: April 10, 2014 at 4:05:27 AM CDT
To: GEO-ALL at LIST.GEOSEC.ORG

Dear GEO Colleagues,

Please find attached a letter from Dr. Rudolf Strohmeier, GEO Co-Chair, European
Commission, announcing the successful launch of the Sentinel 1A Satellite.

We have also posted this information to the GEO website at:

http://www.earthobservations.org/index.shtml

With congratulations!

Barbara J. Ryan
Director, GEO Secretariat
Tel: +41 22 730 85 80
http://www.earthobservations.org

***************************************************************************************************************************
Dear GEO Members,

I am pleased to inform you that  the Sentinel 1A, the first satellite dedicated to the Copernicus  programme, was successfully  launched on Thursday 03 April from  Europe’s spaceport at Kourou, French Guiana and is now in orbit.

Attached you will find the European Commission Press Releases as well as a memo on Copernicus.

The following is the link to the launch video by Arianespace:  http://www.youtube.com/arianespace

With best regards,

Dr. Rudolf W. STROHMEIER

Deputy Director General Research Programmes

European Commission

DG Research & Innovation

ORBN 03/094

1049 Brussels/Belgium

+32 229-62341

rudolf.strohmeier at ec.europa.eu

http://ec.europa.eu/research

To unsubscribe from the GEO-ALL list, click the following link:
http://list.geosec.org/scripts/wa-GEOSEC.exe?SUBED1=GEO-ALL&A=1

The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments are intended for specific individuals or entities, and may be confidential, proprietary or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately, delete this message and do not disclose,  distribute or copy it to any third party or otherwise use this message. The content of this message does not necessarily reflect the official position of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) unless specifically stated. Electronic messages are not secure or error free and may contain viruses or may be delayed, and the sender is not liable for any of these occurrences.
SAVE PAPER - Please do not print this e-mail unless absolutely necessary