[ESIP-all] Job Posting: NASA GIBS Data Management and Workflow Software Engineer
Huang, Thomas (398G) via ESIP-all
esip-all at lists.esipfed.org
Thu Oct 16 17:26:57 EDT 2014
Will specifically be responsible for implementing and delivering the design, code and documentation for the data capturing, workflow, cataloging, archival, and distribution system of the NASA Earth Observing System Data and Information System (EOSDIS) Global Imagery Browse Services (GIBS) system which fulfills an increasingly critical role in providing full resolution visualizations of Earth Science data products consumed by numerous mapping applications and libraries for use in activities such as education, research, and emergency response. . Will report to the GIBS data system architect. Will participate in development and delivery reviews. Will also participate in meetings with the GIBS project team and will work with NASA Earth Science Data System communities including the Earth Science Information Partners (ESIP) and the NASA Earth Science Data Systems Working Group (ESDSWG). Will be required to travel within the U.S.
* Typically requires a Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related discipline with a minimum of 3 years of related experience; Master’s degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 1 years of related experience; or PhD in similar disciplines with a minimum of 0 years related experience.
* Broad knowledge in one or more related fields of the following areas: software engineering and information science.
* Extensive understanding and wide application of principles, theories, concepts and techniques in large scale distributed data capturing, archival, and distribution system architecture.
* Extensive knowledge of applicable industry and/or academic practices and standards in communication protocols, web services, metadata specification and data search.
* Experience developing RESTful web services, data systems, and working with XML and JSON.
* Experience developing with Java and Python.
* Experience with Oracle and/or PostgreSQL relational database systems.
* Familiar with various communication protocols including FTP, SFTP, HTTP, and HTTPS.
* Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to work in a team environment.
* Experience developing with Groovy, Grails, C/C++, Apache Web Server, and Apache Tomcat
* Familiar with Apache Solr and/or ElasticSearch, Apache Maven, Apache Subversion, Git, and JIRA.
* Experience with web tier development using HTML5 and JQuery.
* Familiar with the SCRUM process.
* Familiar with various search and metadata standards including OpenSearch ISO-19115, Federal Geographic Data Committee (FGDC), and Global Change Master Directory (GCMD).
* Familiar with Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) standards including WFS, and WMTS.
* Extensive knowledge of applicable Laboratory policies and procedures, NASA policies and procedures, and government regulations.
* Experience working with various security technologies including LDAP, SSH, and Single-Sign-On
* Experience working with remote sensing and climate model data formats (e.g. HDF, NetCDF)
* Experience with web tier development using Drupal, OpenLayers, and Google Map/Earth.
* Experience working with scientists.
* Experience working with remote sensing data.
To Apply: https://experienced-jpl.icims.com/jobs/4096/software-engineer-ii---data-mgt.-systems-%26-technologies-group/job
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop 158-242, Pasadena, CA 91109
Phone: 818.354.2747, Email: thomas.huang at jpl.nasa.gov<mailto:thomas.huang at jpl.nasa.gov>
DISCLAIMER: All personal and professional opinions presented herein are my own and do not, in any way, represent the opinion or policy of JPL, NASA or Caltech.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the ESIP-all