[ESIP-all] 2015 ESIP Winter Meeting Highlights - Happy New Year!

Erin Robinson erinrobinson at esipfed.org
Mon Dec 29 16:34:40 EST 2014

Hi All -

With the end of 2014 days away - we are just *8* days from the 2015 ESIP
Winter Meeting <http://commons.esipfed.org/2015WinterMeeting>! This is a
quick note to share some really exciting developments in our program.

   1. We added Molly Jahn, Professor of Agronomy, University of Wisconsin
   to the Day 1 plenary. She leads a global alliance of research organizations
   focused on building and testing modern knowledge systems for sustainability
   and most recently was a keynote at the NY Times Food for Tomorrow
   Conference (see her talk <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwIZWrqcoZw>).
   We also added Molly Brown, SMAP Early Adopter Program, John Bolten,
   NASA/GEOGLAM and Josh Lieberman, OGC Agriculture & Climate Chair to the
   User Needs panel on Day 1.

   2. ESIP is never just a one-way transfer. There are two plenaries that
   will include moderated Q&A (please bring your Q's):
      1. We are often asked to bring users to ESIP. We are delivering. Day
      1 Panel on User Needs -
      Featuring representatives USAID, IFPRI, NASA SMAP, GEOGLAM & OGC
      2. Day 2 Panel on Enhanced Use of Earth Observations for Societal
      Benefit Panel - Moderated by Curt Tilmes, NASA w/
      Tim Stryker and Fabien Laurier, OSTP and Rick Driggers, National
      Security Council

      3. Catch up on the State of the Federation Wednesday morning, 9 am,
   with updates on ESIP work, the work of our sponsors (NASA, NOAA) and
   partners (RDA-US, GEO, EarthCube, USGS).

   4. There were over 40 session contributors for this meeting. They have
   gelled into an amazing lineup of breakout sessions
   <https://docs.google.com/a/esipfed.org/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArDAFB2BsbfRdDRGYlk5YkdtWUVrWEpUaXBFSWF1LUE#gid=0>.
   Our poster session is also 'sold-out' with 50 posters & demos contributed.
   Check them out on the ESIP Commons
   <http://commons.esipfed.org/gallery/Winter%20Meeting%202015>.

   5. Finally, during lunch on Wednesday, Jan. 7, we acknowledge our peers
   contributions to ESIP.  We are grateful for all that have contributed to
   this meeting and led ESIP this year. We will award the President's award
   <http://esipfed.org/presidents-award>, announce the 2015 Raskin Scholar,
   celebrate the Falkenberg award
   <http://esipfed.org/charles-falkenberg-award> (given to Curt Tilmes,
   NASA at AGU) and award the Martha Maiden Award
   <http://esipfed.org/martha-maiden-award>.

Right now we have just over 200 people registered (this could be a Winter
Meeting record!). It is not too late to register for the meeting
<https://www.regonline.com/esipfederationwintermeeting2015> - we'd love to
see you in person, but as always we will have remote capabilities (this
link for registration
<https://www.regonline.com/?eventID=1638405&rTypeID=432079> will allow us
to notify you if/when things change) and be tweeting with the #ESIPFed
<https://twitter.com/hashtag/esipfed?f=realtime&src=hash>. The remote
instructions for all sessions can be found by clicking on the room name
from the schedule
<http://commons.esipfed.org/schedule/Winter%20Meeting%202015> (Note: On
WebEx it will just say am or pm breakout).

I hope you all have a safe & happy new year!

Looking forward to working with all of you in 2015 -

Erin