[ESIP-all] Hello!

Annie Burgess annieburgess at esipfed.org
Thu May 7 11:51:51 EDT 2015

Hello ESIP!

My name is Annie Bryant Burgess and I’m your new Community Director! My
first week on the job included participating in the ESIP Testbed Meeting
<http://testbed.esipfed.org/> and spending time with Erin R. as she got me
up to speed on everything ESIP.  Now I’m excited to start connecting with
all of you.

First, a little bit of background. My career has straddled the divide
between Earth Science and informatics for the past 10 years. Most recently,
I finished a Postdoc at the University of Southern California with Dr.
Chris Mattmann. While at USC, my main task was to develop software for the
unique needs of the Polar science community, specifically, expanding text
and metadata extraction for scientific data formats.

However, I really entered the world of informatics during my PhD when faced
by challenges in processing and distributing the immense amounts of data
produced by my research, which focused on satellite remote sensing and snow
hydrology. Fortunately, I was lucky. I had the opportunity to collaborate
with a group of computer scientists at NASA/JPL who taught me about
workflows, software best practices, data management, version control, ...
the list could go on. This all happened while my peers were faced with
surmounting challenges related to data production and management on their
own.

Through this experience, I've come to know the power of connecting Earth
scientists with the right data, software, and computing skills. This is
where I see my roll at ESIP.  I will utilize my technical savvy and
community-building experience to propel ESIP forward, building on the
incredible momentum within the community!

I look forward to connecting with all of you over the next many months and
at this summer's meeting <http://commons.esipfed.org/2015SummerMeeting> in
Pacific Grove!

Best,

Annie
_

*Annie Bryant Burgess*
Community Director
Federation of Earth Science Information Partners
www: http://esipfed.org/
twitter: @esipfed
mobile: 585.738.7549