[ESIP-all] BESSIG meeting Mon, 11/30, 5:00 - 6:30, LASP, Dynamic Data Citation

Anne Wilson Anne.Wilson at lasp.colorado.edu
Mon Nov 23 17:33:17 EST 2015

Hi ESIP,

If you happen to be in Boulder next Monday, please consider joining us at
the next meeting of the Boulder Earth and Space Science Informatics Group
Monday at 5:00, when Ruth Duerr will present

"Dynamic Data Citations: The Current State"

Citation of research data is becoming the norm. Government agencies like
OSTP, NSF, NASA and NOAA require data to be fully and openly accessible,
and have articulated data citation as a means to achieving open and equal
access to data to all interested parties. Also, publishers are requiring
manuscript submitters to provide access to the data sets used in their
published research in order to link publications with the data that
underly them. Citation of research data is a key component of these goals.

Priniciples of data citation have reached some degree of maturity, but
significant issues remain. In particular, how does one cite data that is
dynamic, e.g., created via subsetting, aggregation, or other on-demand,
server side functionality?

The Research Data Alliance (RDA) Working Group on data citation has been
working in this area, and the Federation of Earth Science Information
Partners (ESIP Federation) held a workshop on Dynamic Data Citation this
year. In this talk, Ruth will describe the the current state of research
data citation and the results of these recent efforts.

Note that our venue has changed.  We will be meeting at LASP.

More information, including some venue logistics, is available at our web
site:
https://lasp.colorado.edu/galaxy/display/BESSIG/BESSIG+Meeting+Monday%2C+No
vember+30%2C+2015%2C+5%3A00+-+6%3A30%2C+LASP

Hope to see you there!

Anne