[ESIP-all] Steve Adler and Open Climate Data Repository

Tom Narock tnarock at marymount.edu
Fri Jan 15 11:17:32 EST 2016

ESIPers,

Steve Adler (IBM) gave an interesting presentation at the Winter ESIP meeting regarding open climate data and what this might entail.

I have since followed up with Steve to see what our ESIP Semantic Technologies Committee might do to help out. Personally, I am intrigued by his discussion of semantics and Linked Data. But, this has led to a broader discussion of bringing in other ESIP Clusters, Working Groups, and individual members who have knowledge and experience in climate data, societal impacts, data management, and data integration.

To this end, we have created a project using the Open Science Framework: https://osf.io/crdhg/ <https://osf.io/crdhg/>
At the moment, it’s very basic as we are just in the information gathering phase. But this is where you can help!

If you are interested in working on some of the things Steve discussed or have pointers to relevant information - please email me. We can add you to the project discussion and/or link to your resources in our wiki page.

I offered to help gather resources and information within ESIP. Steve is doing the same at IBM and NASA. In a few weeks we’ll regroup and see where we are. Any comments/suggestions on what you’d like to see or where this might go are welcome.

Thanks,
Tom Narock