[ESIP-all] AGU Session - Request for Abstracts

Denise Hills dhills at gsa.state.al.us
Wed Jul 13 15:21:00 EDT 2016

Colleagues,

I want to highlight a session that should be of interest to some of you, but that you might not come across otherwise, as it’s listed under PA. One advantage of this session is that according to AGU policy, first authors can contribute 1 additional abstract (beyond the 1 contributed and 1 invited otherwise allowed) to a PA or ED session.

PA007: Care and feeding of physical samples and their metadata: what happens next?

Session Description: Samples are the ground truth for many investigations in Earth Science. Despite increased efforts linking physical samples to associated metadata, data, and resulting publications, challenges remain (e.g., incomplete or ambiguous identification for physical samples stands in the way of synoptic studies). The International Geo Sample Number (IGSN) resolves some of these challenges, and is now recommended for use in publications by AGU and the Coalition on Publishing Data in the Earth and Space Sciences (COPDESS). While many have adopted the use of persistent identifiers, others remain unaware of this effort or its value to their work.

In this session we will explore the following questions:

 *   How can we generate wider adoption of the IGSN?
 *   How can we increase IGSN interoperability with other persistent identifier systems to improve the accessibility of physical samples for scientific use?
 *   What communities need to be targeted?
 *   What policies and best practices need to be encouraged?

Direct link to session: https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm16/preliminaryview.cgi/Session13400.html

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me or one of the other session conveners, Jens Klump and Bob Arko.

Denise Hills
Director, Energy Investigations
Geological Survey of Alabama
+1-205-247-3694 (office)