[ESIP-all] The Web Services Cluster

James Gallagher jgallagher at opendap.org
Wed Feb 1 23:52:10 EST 2017

Hello ESIP,

Soren Scott and I would like to restart the web services cluster along the following lines:

We propose that the cluster look at measuring web services patterns of use at sites where large servers are run (e.g., NASA and NOAA). A casual observation is that subsetting services for data access are underused relative to simple file-access, but  to qualify and quantify this more data about access patterns are needed. OPeNDAP has some experience with analysis of access data for web services (e.g., server logs) and often has found very telling patterns that can be used to improve server performance, so even if the perception regarding under-utilization it false, there will be significant benefit to the analysis of use.

If it is the case that web services are underused, we should ask why. Is it because users lack knowledge about them? Or do these services underperform users' expectations?

ESIP represents an excellent forum for this investigation since it is unique in having people representing all three groups of users (implicitly) mentioned above (end-users, system developers and data center managers).

If you’re interested in this, or if you have a different idea for the cluster, please join us for  a meeting next week. This is a busy time for many, so to simplify finding a time, I’ve started a doodle poll:

http://doodle.com/poll/r6hivdtygcw543g2

If none of those times work for you, email me or contact me on the new ESIP #web-services slack channel.

Thanks,
James

--
James Gallagher