[ESIP-all] DataONE Webinar: Reproducible Science with Jupiter: Changing our publication models Tues Feb 14th

Amber Budden aebudden at dataone.unm.edu
Thu Feb 9 15:00:00 EST 2017

Dear Colleagues

Join us on Tuesday for a free Webinar on “Reproducible Science with Jupiter: Changing our publication models” presented by Fernando Pérez (Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory).

Tuesday February 14th at 0900 am Pacific Time, 1200 noon Eastern Time.

Register now via https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/8259955039642712066 <https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/8259955039642712066>

Abstract:
Project Jupyter, evolved from the IPython environment, provides a platform for interactive computing that is widely used today in research, education, journalism and industry. The core premise of the Jupyter architecture is to design tools around the experience of interactive computing, building an environment, protocol, file format and libraries optimized for the computational process when there is a human in the loop, in a live iteration with ideas and data assisted by the computer.

In this talk, I will discuss what are the basic ideas that underpin Jupyter, and how they can be used to tackle the problem of reproducibility in computational research. In particular, I will discuss how the structures provided by Jupyter can help us to simultaneously improve access to scientific knowledge and a more productive relationship with the literature, by modifying our approach to scholarly publishing of code, data and narratives.

About DataONE:
DataONE enables universal access to data and also aids researchers in fulfilling their need for data management and in providing secure and permanent access to their data. These needs are filled by offering the scientific community a suite of tools and training materials that cover all aspects of the data life-cycle; from data collection to management, analysis and publication.
Amber E Budden, PhD
Director for Community Engagement and Outreach
DataONE
University of New Mexico
1312 Basehart SE
Albuquerque NM 87106