[ESIP-all] AGU IN058: Where We Live and Work: Improving Data and Models for Human Settlements, Infrastructure, and Population Distribution

Bob Chen bchen at ciesin.columbia.edu
Fri Jul 7 11:35:11 EDT 2017

Please consider submitting an abstract to session IN058, "Where We Live
and Work: Improving Data and Models for Human Settlements,
Infrastructure, and Population Distribution," at the fall American
Geophysical Union meeting, December 11-15, 2017, in New Orleans
(https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm17/preliminaryview.cgi/Session26361). The
session will be an unusual opportunity to interact with the diverse set
of data providers, users, and other stakeholders working with
georeferenced data and models related to human settlements, the built
infrastructure, and population distribution in support of a range of
research and application areas. We are interested in not only in new
data and methods for mapping and characterizing population and
infrastructure in an integrated way, but also in examples of the
applications of these data in disaster risk management, mitigation and
adaptation efforts, poverty reduction, conservation, resource
management, communications and transportation, and other aspects of
sustainable development.

As I'm sure you know, the submission deadline is *Wednesday, August 2*.
Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions. We hope you
will consider submitting to this session! Cheers, Bob

P.S. Apologies for cross-posting...

    IN058: Where We Live and Work: Improving Data and Models for Human
    Settlements, Infrastructure, and Population Distribution

*Session ID#: * 26361

Our exposure and vulnerability to extreme events, climate change,
conflict, and other threats, as well as our ability to develop
sustainably and build resilience, are conditioned on where we live and
work and on our ability to develop and maintain protective
infrastructure in sustainable human settlements. An increasing array of
remote sensing and other data sources are opening up opportunities to
better assess, monitor, model, and predict population and infrastructure
patterns, characteristics, and change on diverse spatial and temporal
scales. This session will showcase new data sources and applications,
innovative data mining and analytic methods, and evolving modeling and
validation approaches from a range of natural, social, health, and
engineering science communities. It will provide a venue to examine and
discuss emerging applications of data to address pressing societal
decisions, challenges in open data access, integration, and use, and
ways to facilitate interdisciplinary collaboration across the public and
private sectors.

Primary Convener: *Robert S Chen*, Columbia University of New York,
Palisades, NY, United States
Conveners: *Budhendra L Bhaduri*, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak
Ridge, TN, United States, *Andrea Gaughan*, University of Louisville,
Dept. of Geography and Geosciences, Louisville, KY, United States and
*Gregory Yetman*, Columbia University, CIESIN, Palisades, NY, United States
*
Co-Organized with:*
*Earth and Space Science Informatics*,Global Environmental Change,and
Natural Hazards

*****
Dr. Robert S. Chen
Director, Center for International Earth Science Information Network
  (CIESIN), The Earth Institute, Columbia University
Manager, NASA Socioeconomic Data and Applications Center (SEDAC)
P.O. Box 1000, 61 Route 9W, Palisades, NY 10964 USA
tel. +1 845-365-8952; fax +1 845-365-8922
e-mail:bchen at ciesin.columbia.edu
CIESIN web site:http://www.ciesin.columbia.edu
SEDAC web site:http://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu