[ESIP-all] Support students in the Earth and space sciences

Nancy Ritchey - NOAA Federal nancy.ritchey at noaa.gov
Mon Nov 6 17:52:10 EST 2017

Dear Colleagues,

There's an amazing opportunity for you to give back to student presenters
at Fall AGU Meeting 2017. The Outstanding Student Paper Award (OSPA)
<https://fallmeeting.agu.org/2017/students/outstanding-student-paper-award/>
program relies entirely on *volunteer judges* to provide constructive
feedback to student presenters during the conference. Nearly *3,000 student
presenters* will be participating in OSPA this year and we need your help
to ensure all are evaluated and provided with feedback. It only takes a
small amount of your time to assess the students and input the evaluation,
yet you will make a significant contribution to these Earth and space
science students.

*Responsibilities as an OSPA Judge*

·   Register <http://ospa.agu.org/2017/> and agree to the honor code.
Volunteer judges must be current non-student AGU Members.

·   Sign up for student presentations you wish to evaluate.

·   Evaluate all presentations you volunteered to judge *during Fall
Meeting*.

·   Submit scores, either in real time on a tablet or mobile device, or
take notes while you evaluate students and enter the scores online no later
than* Friday, 22 December 2017, at 11:59 p.m. EDT.*

*Why volunteer as an OSPA Judge*

The generous time commitment and constructive feedback is vital for student
growth and development. AGU greatly appreciates the time and effort of the
OSPA judges. Here are some comments made by past OSPA participants that saw
great benefits in the program:

*"I loved the feedback I received from OSPA judges. I also noticed that
more people were willing to stop and ask questions thanks to the OSPA
signage." *Hydrology OSPA Participant 2016

“The comments were very helpful and the questions asked helped me start
thinking of the implication of my research.” Biogeosciences OSPA
participant, 2015

“My experiences receiving feedback from presentations at AGU as a student
was formative in my career development. By the affirmation of OSPA judges
that mine was an Outstanding Paper in 2011, I gained great confidence in
presenting to technical audiences.” Atmospheric Sciences OSPA coordinator,
2014 (reflecting on past OSPA participation as a student)

if you are not attending Fall AGU 2017, please pass this request onto your
colleagues who are attending.

Thank you again and please let us know if you have any questions. You can
also contact the AGU OSPA team directly at ospa at agu.org.

Best regards,

Nancy

---
Nancy Ritchey
Archive Branch Chief
ORCID: 0000-0003-3939-6287
NOAA's National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI)
Asheville, NC 28801
828-271-4445
*Connect with us on Facebook for **climate*
<http://www.facebook.com/NOAANCEIclimate>* and **ocean and geophysics*
<http://www.facebook.com/NOAANCEIoceangeo>* information, and follow us on
Twitter at **@NOAANCEIclimate * <http://www.twitter.com/NOAANCEIclimate>
*and **@*NOAANCEIocngeo <http://www.twitter.com/NOAANCEIocngeo>.