[ESIP-all] Fall 2018 AGU: Transforming Earth and Planetary Science With Mixed Reality (IN061)

Thompson, Charles K (398I) Charles.K.Thompson at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Jun 26 13:55:47 EDT 2018

Dear colleagues,

[apologies in advance if you receive this message multiple times]

We welcome any and all submissions to our upcoming Fall AGU session focusing on VR/AR/MR immersive visualization applications in support of planetary science and research, graphical and textual details below. This is an emerging area of interest, and we welcome anyone who is actively working within this exciting technological realm. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or comments. Thank you!

[/Users/ckthomps/Downloads/in061.jpg]

Textual version of announcement:

IN061. Transforming Earth and planetary science with mixed reality

Abstract: Virtual, augmented and mixed reality (VR, AR, MR) interfaces are exemplars of emerging technologies which may redefine the ways in which we are able to manipulate and experience multidimensional Earth and planetary science data. Together, these emerging technologies serve as a transformational paradigm for visualizing and interacting with spatiotemporal datasets. The ability for users to surround themselves within the same 4D “world” as their data enables new and unique approaches to science data representation, exploration, discovery and analysis. Unbounded by traditional 2D computer display and control systems, immersive technologies utilizing haptic feedback, gesture control, voice recognition and other innovations have the potential to redefine user interfaces and evolve human/computer interaction for more intuitive and efficient data query and control. This session seeks presentations which exploit the power of immersive technologies as a framework for better understanding of geophysical/geospatial science data by leveraging the distinctive characteristics of VR, AR and MR.

Conveners:
Charles K. Thompson, NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, CA, USA
Charles.K.Thompson at jpl.nasa.gov<mailto:Charles.K.Thompson at jpl.nasa.gov>

Shayna Skolnik, Navteca, Greenbelt, MD, USA
sskolnik at navteca.com<mailto:sskolnik at navteca.com>

Final Abstract Submission Deadline: 1 August, 11:59 P.M. ET

For the first time, the AGU Fall Meeting will be held in Washington, D.C., where we will mark the launch AGU’s Centennial.  A wide variety of events are being planned that will take advantage of this special location that will showcase our science to the U.S. and international policy community, students, and public); leverage the local scientific community, including events with the Smithsonian, National Academies, and others; and, offer field trips to view the local geology and research institutes. The Fall Meeting will also offer more workshops as well as new Tutorial sessions to help students and researchers learn about new approaches and techniques and introduce exciting science in other disciplines.

Additional information, including everything you need to know about abstract submission is here: https://fallmeeting.agu.org/2018/.  Please consider submitting an abstract and/or attending to help show “What Science Stands For” and to join in an exciting and informative start to AGU’s Centennial. Submissions received by the early deadline of 25 July have a chance to win a $100 US gift card.