[ESIP-all] NRC Research Associateship Program position available at NOAA!

Kenneth Casey - NOAA Federal kenneth.casey at noaa.gov
Wed Jul 18 12:25:32 EDT 2018

Dear ESIP -

I have a post-doctoral opportunity available through the NRC Research
Associateship Program (RAP, http://sites.nationalacademies.org/pga/rap/)
and I am hoping you will help me spread the word.  The general description
is here:

http://nrc58.nas.edu/RAPLab10/Opportunity/Opportunity.aspx?
LabCode=26&ROPCD=260133&RONum=B5760

The key phrase from that general description is this:

*Research opportunities exist to develop and apply Big Data techniques to
improve the discovery, accessibility, and use of in situ and satellite
datasets in various scientific problems.*

I am looking for someone with knowledge of machine learning/analytics tools
such as Natural Language Processing, and who is interested in applying them
to our data stewardship and archival processes at NOAA's National Centers
for Environmental Information for the public good.  I am open to all sorts
of ideas in this general area and have a few of my own too, and am eager to
get started.

So if you know anyone who has recently earned their PhD or who will be
soon, please share this info with them and have them reach out to me with
questions.  While there is a quarterly NRC application deadline Aug 1,
making that date could be difficult.  The next deadline after that is
November 1.  I am here at the summer ESIP meeting so let me know if you
have any ideas or questions.

Thanks!
-Ken Casey

[NOTE: The opinions expressed in this email are those of the author alone
and do not necessarily reflect official NOAA, Department of Commerce, or US
government policy.]

Kenneth S. Casey, Ph.D.
Deputy Director, Data Stewardship Division

NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI)
1315 East-West Highway

Silver Spring MD 20910 USA
+1-301-713-4849

The newly formed NCEI merges the National Oceanographic Data Center (NODC),
the National Climatic Data Center (NCDC), and the National Geophysical Data
Center (NGDC). *Connect with us on Facebook for **climate*
<http://www.facebook.com/NOAANCEIclimate>* and **ocean and geophysics*
<http://www.facebook.com/NOAANCEIoceangeo>* information, and follow us on
Twitter at **@NOAANCEIclimate * <http://www.twitter.com/NOAANCEIclimate>
*and **@NOAANCEIocngeo* <http://www.twitter.com/NOAANCEIocngeo>*.*