[ESIP-all] 2018 Fall AGU session on: Approaches for Curation to Data Discovery in the Era of Big Data Variety II

Armstrong, Edward M (398G) Edward.M.Armstrong at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Jul 30 11:44:24 EDT 2018

Hi folks,

On the heels of our successful session at last year’s conference on data discovery and metadata curation we invite you to submit to this session.  Abstracts are due this Weds.  Hope to see you in Washington, D.C. in December!

Abstract:

IN006: Approaches for Curation to Data Discovery in the Era of Big Data Variety II

·         Data are critical to our understanding of Earth as a system. As Earth science data continues to grow in volume and variety, discoverability is becoming both more important and challenging across different science disciplines. Solving the discoverability problem begins with an “inside-out” approach: curating complete, correct and consistent metadata to improve user discovery interfaces. The solution space also includes “outside-in” approaches, in which alternative pathways are used to enable discoverability to find related datasets and physical variables. This session will advance last year’s session on methods to improve discovery. Inside-out approaches include metadata curation tools, controlled vocabularies, ontologies, and metadata curation. Outside-in approaches include paths that start with the physical phenomena in question; from scientific articles about the data; from narratives featuring data; from data visualizations; and from social media. Submissions discussing the pros and cons of data discovery workflows based on cloud, on-premise, or hybrid architectures are also encouraged.

--  Ed Armstrong