[ESIP-all] Information Maintenance as a Practice of Care: An Invitation to Reflect and Share

Parsons, Mark parsom3 at rpi.edu
Wed Jun 19 11:52:08 EDT 2019

Dear Friends,

Now for something a bit different  (apologies for cross-posting)...

We are happy to announce the release of Information Maintenance as a Practice of Care: An Invitation to Reflect and Share. You can access a copy of the paper here: http://themaintainers.org/info-mc-work .

In this piece we begin to describe intersections of information maintenance and care ethics in ways that are real and meaningful for information maintainers.  By “information maintainers” we mean those who manage, maintain, and preserve information systems.

The contributors to this document each have varied experiences with information maintenance. We are community organizers and facilitators, archivists, repository managers, project managers, designers, librarians, researchers, grantmakers, educators and more. This invitation is directed toward occupations and roles for which we feel that an understanding of the relationship between information maintenance and an ethic of care is especially valuable. We invite you to read, react, share engage with this potluck of ideas. Please circulate widely!

If you see yourself and work represented in this invitation, we ask you to join us and contribute to the Information Maintainers community. For more on who we are and how we work, please visit http://themaintainers.org/info-mc-about-us .

cheers,

-m.

Mark A. Parsons
Senior Research Scientist
Tetherless World Constellation
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
http://tw.rpi.edu<http://tw.rpi.edu/>
 +1 303 941 9986
Skype: mark.a.parsons
mail: 1550 Linden Ave., Boulder CO 80304, USA
https://orcid.org/0000-0002-7723-0950<http://orcid.org/0000-0002-7723-0950>