[ESIP-all] FW: !! 2 DAYS TO GO !! ESIP GeoSemantics Symposium - Know-before-you-go

Mcgibbney, Lewis J (398M) lewis.j.mcgibbney at jpl.nasa.gov
Sat Jul 13 23:10:58 EDT 2019

Good Evening Everyone,
                Please cross post to any forum related to GeoSemantics – this is a free event and remote participation information is below
Can you believe it… we only have 2 days to go until our 3rd Annual ESIP GeoSemantics Symposium - https://sched.co/MKH5
This email is your go-to source of information to get you fully prepped for the day’s activities. We have a morning of excellent guest speakers and an entire afternoon of workshops… don’t worry we have plenty of tea, coffee and sugar to keep everyone buzzing and engaged!

Sched
Registration, details, session descritpions, etc.
https://sched.co/MKH5

Remote Participation Information
Monday July 15, 2019 8:30am - 6:15pm
Room 316<https://2019esipsummermeeting.sched.com/venue/Room+316>
  Room 316<https://2019esipsummermeeting.sched.com/type/room+316>, Workshop<https://2019esipsummermeeting.sched.com/type/room+316/workshop>
·         Agenda & Notes https://esipfed.github.io/stc/symposium/2019/symposium_schedule.html
·         REMOTE PARTICIPATION LINK: https://www.google.com/url?q=https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/478069597&sa=D&ust=1562240178230000&usg=AOvVaw09RZqkGATQ2jwZHRQekJqu
·         REMOTE PARTICIPATION PHONE #: (571) 317-3112
·         REMOTE PARTICIPATION ACCESS CODE 478-069-597

Schedule
https://esipfed.github.io/stc/symposium/2019/symposium_schedule.html

Morning Presentations
Speaker

Title

Abstract

Dr. Simon Handley, iBuild Global, Inc.

Semantic computing, Under-banking, & Global Housing

There is a global housing shortage crisis. It particularly impacts those in developing countries, where over 330 million households lack secure, affordable housing. A key driver is the lack of bank accounts and the centrality of the cash economy. People are, in effect, under-banked: no credit scores, no access to credit. It is estimated that for every $1 invested in housing only $0.55 in actual housing is built, resulting in no or sub-standard housing. The solution is to track and manage the money. iBUILD is a powerful smartphone-based platform that seamlessly facilitates the flow of money through the entire construction ecosystem. In this talk we will discuss how machine learning and ontological systems are key to iBUILD's business success. For example, we can use our detailed transactional data from construction projects to build risk models that enable the under-banked to efficiently borrow money for housing.

Dr. Jean-Francois Rajotte, Computer Research Institute of Montréal (CRIM)

Machine learning integration in Earth observation projects at CRIM

The Computer Research Institute of Montreal (CRIM) is leading many projects combining Earth observation (EO) and Machine Learning (ML). Such endeavors are usually associated with integration challenges for (big) data, semantics, algorithms and users in the desired workflow. With its multidisciplinary nature, CRIM is in a unique position to tackle these challenges. In this presentation, we show an overview of a few projects, either on-going or upcoming. We will discuss the various approaches to integrate ML to EO analysis workflows.

In particular, we will discuss an EO version of ImageNet, GeoImageNet which includes land cover and object classes. We will also share aspects of the OGC Machine Learning testbed covering best practices for using OGC web services to deploy ML apps in a Cloud environment. The last presented project is our ongoing analysis with the OpenDataCube as an analysis environment for land cover mapping and change detection. Finally, we will introduce the upcoming ambitious and recently funded Data Analytics for Canadian Climate Services focusing on the challenges to link EO and climate taxonomies.

Dr. Evelyne Viegas, Microsoft

Machine Learning at Microsoft (tentative title)

TBD

Dr. Simon Cox, Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)

Semantic Sensor Networks applications in ecoscience

Vocabulary services, Vocabulary formalization and harmonization, SSN (O&M) applications in ecoscience, Geologic timescale

N.B. The above titles and abstracts are for informational purposes only. We will hopefully make all slides available after the event.

Afternoon Workshops
Workshop

Workshop Content

Amazon Web Services – Amazon SageMaker

https://github.com/awslabs/amazon-sagemaker-workshop

Amazon Web Services – Amazon Neptune

See attachment for preparatory information

ESRI Machine Learning

  Introduction Page - https://www.esri.com/en-us/arcgis/products/spatial-analytics-data-science/overview

b.    Getting Access to ArcGIS
                          i.    ArcGIS Pro

        *   ArcGIS Pro Trial - https://www.esri.com/en-us/arcgis/products/arcgis-pro/trial
        *   ArcGIS Pro for Student Use - https://www.esri.com/en-us/arcgis/products/arcgis-for-student-use
                        ii.    ArcGIS for Developers - https://developers.arcgis.com/

c.    Optional Learn Lessons (can be taken following presentation) -
                          i.    https://learn.arcgis.com/en/projects/downscale-climate-data-with-machine-learning/
                        ii.    https://learn.arcgis.com/en/projects/determine-how-location-impacts-interest-rates/
                       iii.    https://learn.arcgis.com/en/projects/use-deep-learning-to-assess-palm-tree-health/

Drone Data API Hackathon

https://github.com/opengeospatial/LANDRS

Onsite Assistance
Contact myself at the contact details below. If I am unavailable for any reason please contact staff at esipfed.org

General ESIP Meeting Information
https://2019esipsummermeeting.sched.com/info

Social Media
If you use social media, please consider sharing the event using #esipgeosem19

We are really excited about to hosting everyone to what is shaping up to be a super event. Thank you all for traveling early to this years ESIP Summer meeting. We hope the Symposium will be a rewarding experience and welcome your feedback in order for us to improve next year.
Best

Anne Wilson, Beth Huffer and Lewis McGibbney

Dr. Lewis John McGibbney Ph.D., B.Sc.(Hons)
Data Scientist III
Computer Science for Data Intensive Applications Group (398M)
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
California Institute of Technology
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena, California 91109-8099