[ESIP-all] A Message to the ESIP Community About COVID-19

Megan Carter megancarter at esipfed.org
Wed Mar 18 14:29:30 EDT 2020

<https://www.esipfed.org/news/community-message-covid-19>

We (ESIP Staff) would like to acknowledge the uncertainty and disruption
going on across the country and across the world as a result of the
COVID-19 pandemic. In moments of crisis, people and communities are our
greatest assets. As a virtual organization, ESIP is skilled at supporting
our distributed community remotely and we are happy to be a resource and
offer up the ESIP platform as you navigate increased remote participation
and try to turn in-person activities into virtual ones. Below are some ways
that you can use the ESIP platform in the coming days and some upcoming
virtual opportunities.

We invite you to use the ESIP Slack (join here
<https://esip-slack-invite.herokuapp.com/>) with its numerous channels to
communicate with us and with others. With Slack, you can even start
multi-way video chats. We have started a #covid
<https://join.slack.com/share/I0106FRPQDB/lnqDhO7PmtNqLsXQj84h5BQU/enQtMTAwNjUzNTgwNjQ1My01MzkwZDhkYmRiODViZDIwM2NlNGRkYTJiM2FjMThkMzM3ZGYyYjU0YjE5ZmQ0MWU2NDcwYzAwMmYzYmJiMTdj>
 channel on the ESIP Slack. You are welcome to use this space to share
resources and advice, as well as stories of how the current has affected
you and your workplace and what you are doing to adapt. By collecting
stories of Earth science data professionals, we hope to help our community
members support each other through this difficult time.

We know your time is precious, particularly now, so we encourage you as
always to engage with ESIP to the level that is useful for you. The ESIP
Collaboration Areas have been as busy as ever of late, continuing to
host monthly
telecons <https://esipfed.org/telecons> to discuss data-related challenges
and opportunities. All are welcome on these telecons. In late April, we’ll
host a Collaboration Area Highlights Webinar (more details coming soon),
where you can see a fast-paced overview of what these groups are doing and
think about where you might want to jump in. We will continue to post
content to our YouTube Channel
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfQZ-8G7ptfbvbhii3T30OA/featured> for you
to view on your own time.

Regarding the 2020 ESIP Summer Meeting to be held July 14th-17th, the call
for sessions <https://2020esipsummermeeting.sched.com/info> is open. The
meeting is currently planned as a hybrid meeting with in-person and remote
capabilities for all sessions. We will continue to monitor and adjust
planning, if travel and group-size restrictions extend beyond mid-May.

Sincerely,

Megan Carter, on behalf of the entire ESIP Staff