[ESIP-all] Your official invite to the Esri Ocean, Weather, and Climate Forum + please pass on to students!

Dawn Wright DWright at esri.com
Wed Sep 23 13:01:05 EDT 2020

Dear colleagues,

I write to invite you and yours to attend the Esri Ocean, Weather, and Climate GIS Forum<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.esri.com/en-us/about/events/ocean-gis-forum/overview__;!!Mih3wA!SkyzL6j_GDGiP3qPEf9ivGFw082_SvQCCOZ9aygeqY41HSMaiq2YAVkNNEitL0k$>, November 4-5, 2020. This meeting will be completely virtual and under complimentary registration to all in your organization or on your campus! I would be especially grateful if you could pass the word on to your students, as this meeting is particularly well-suited for them. This is especially if they wish to present a paper to a more intimate and supportive audience, while making valuable professional contacts. The current paper abstract deadline<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.esri.com/en-us/about/events/ocean-gis-forum/get-involved/call-for-papers__;!!Mih3wA!SkyzL6j_GDGiP3qPEf9ivGFw082_SvQCCOZ9aygeqY41HSMaiq2YAVkNTTNLhaQ$> is September 25th and the digital map submission deadline<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.esri.com/en-us/about/events/owc-forum/get-involved/map-gallery__;!!Mih3wA!SkyzL6j_GDGiP3qPEf9ivGFw082_SvQCCOZ9aygeqY41HSMaiq2YAVkNuZSc_u4$> (including story maps) is October 2nd. Both deadlines will soon be extended to October 8th.

We are offering a very exciting Forum in this virtual format, with a potent array of speakers, virtual networking, and new information and insights for this growing community. We are also extending a warm welcome to (and focused content for) our Atmospheric Science/Climatology/Applied Meteorology users. We continue to focus on new and substantive areas, such as large scale bathy data collection and processing, 3D and 4D analytics, new applications for imagery, big data processing, climate adaptation, disaster response, and much more.

Of particular interest should be our virtual keynotes<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.esri.com/en-us/about/events/owc-forum/agenda/plenary__;!!Mih3wA!SkyzL6j_GDGiP3qPEf9ivGFw082_SvQCCOZ9aygeqY41HSMaiq2YAVkN6B92kKE$> by:
·         Research meteorologist Dr. Sasha Gershunov, Scripps Institution of Oceanography

  *   New executive director of the Schmidt Ocean Institute, Dr. Jyotika Virmani (formerly of XPRIZE)
  *   Executive director of the Southern California Coastal Water Research Project (SCCWRP), Dr. Steve Weisberg
  *   Associate Director of the Georgia Tech’s Center for Spatial Planning Analytics and Visualization, Tony Giarrusso
  *   Chief of coastal management for the Georgia Department of Natural Resources Coastal Resources, Jill Andrews

We will also offer technical tutorials, as well as a Technical Plenary comprised of a unique set of ocean, weather, and climate analysis demonstrations. These will feature out-of-the-box functionalities (or those coupled with open source) that will inspire your work across several application areas. Included in the planned Tech Plenary topics are:
·        Continuous atmospheric change detection (“danger in the dust”)
·        Suitability Modeling (benthic habitat)
·        Presence Only Prediction (coral reefs and ocean acidification)
·        Climate Time Series Forecasting
·        Voxels in the Ocean and Atmosphere
·        Big Data Connections and Feature Binning
·        Multidimensional Sampling and Summarization (including space-time cubes and artificial intelligence)

Please join us and get further involved by submitting a paper <https://www.esri.com/en-us/about/events/owc-forum/get-involved/call-for-presentations> or a digital map<https://www.esri.com/en-us/about/events/owc-forum/get-involved/map-gallery> — all to inspire your peers within this thriving community of multi-dimensional GIS practitioners!

Thanks very much,

Dawn
------
Dawn Wright (she/her/hers), Ph.D. & GISP | Esri Chief Scientist
Esri | 380 New York St | Redlands, CA 92373 | USA
T 909 793 2853 x2182 | M 909 362 6817 | dwright at esri.com<mailto:dwright at esri.com> | esriurl.com/scicomm<http://www.esri.com/sciences>
esriurl.com/dawn<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__esriurl.com_dawn&d=DwMGaQ&c=n6-cguzQvX_tUIrZOS_4Og&r=XlutqUdSIpme1jvzl1iWog&m=XO9X9gVsiBGUg5I9jNyq8GZnFSL9O-I78AexOtVJavg&s=Z3mNQ3SvFiZ7TmJUS_cfuW7US_czkXyRpRZuuX00zv8&e=> | @deepseadawn

Esri is here to help: Coronavirus Response Resources<https://coronavirus-resources.esri.com/> | GIS for Racial Justice<https://www.esri.com/en-us/racial-equity/overview> | Disaster Response Program<https://www.esri.com/en-us/disaster-response/overview>