[ESIP-all] Tom Augspurger (Microsoft AI for Earth) @ ESIP ML Cluster Telecon (5/21)

Cindy Lin cindylky at umich.edu
Tue May 18 19:55:46 EDT 2021

Dear ESIP Community,

The ESIP Machine Learning Cluster is hosting a talk this *Friday, May 21,
12 pm ET/9 am PT*.

For this week's meeting, we are honored to have *Tom Augspurger *from
*Microsoft
AI for Earth* give a talk. We would love to have you there in attendance!

Where:
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88357173454?pwd=djkvOEx0TTZRekJLWVRHcEMyUitNZz09
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https://us02web.zoom.us/j/88357173454?pwd%3DdjkvOEx0TTZRekJLWVRHcEMyUitNZz09&sa=D&source=calendar&ust=1621714579965000&usg=AOvVaw3HuE9OqMS9xmNDyaK0xEVX>

*Title:* Scalable Geospatial Analysis

*Abstract: *Working with geospatial data can be challenging, regardless of
the scale. We'll see how Microsoft's Planetary Computer is using STAC and
Dask to facility large-scale geospatial data analysis. We'll use the
Planetary Computer's STAC catalog to find the data matching some
conditions, and a Dask cluster to process the data in parallel.

*Bio: *Tom is a software engineer at Microsoft where he’s working on the
Planetary Computer. He’s worked on open-source libraries like pandas, Dask,
and has been involved with the Pangeo community.
https://tomaugspurger.github.io/

Meeting Agenda doc:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NrnKP3KUBwKYDyVTXrTVBYg_yH3FmYbzsEiSQ6De5Ro/edit?usp=sharing

Best,
--
*Cindy Lin*
phd candidate | school of information + STS