[ESIP-AQ] Draft inputs for GEO proposal

Erin Robinson emr1 at wustl.edu
Fri May 29 16:04:53 EDT 2009

Sethi and Ratish,
Thank you so much for providing the information on the India AQ DSS
application. It is a tremendous help and right in line with the kind of
things were were hoping to work on. I've added the content from your word
doc to the workspace where we begun drafting a response to this
CFP<http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Air_Quality_Information_System_and_GEOSS:_India_Air_Quality_and_CATHALAC_Applications>.
This wiki <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiki> is open, you just need to
create a log in and then you can make any changes, additions, deletion, etc
that you want.

Just an update: We had a
telecon<http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/AQ_Work_Group_Telecons>this
afternoon and discussed the CFP with one of the creators of the CFP,
Lawrence Friedl (NASA). He provided clarification on a few aspects of the
proposal below:

   1. Each GEO proposal should target one particular user so the proposal
   with you at IIT Bombay will be separate from a similar application in
   Central America. The hope is that by being more specific about location and
   users the project specific needs will be clearer.
   2. The IT and educational aspects are good parts of the project, but
   should be enabling/facilitating end-users to walk away with better
   decisions. Proposals shouldn't just promote training or IT.
   3. There are three types of proposals: Differentiation between Type I -
   aren't using Earth Observation data and but interested in learning how to
   use and Type II - currently using Earth obs, but may want to incorporate
   other types of Earth observations into their work. There aren't clear
   distinctions between the two and Lawrence thought these could be either type
   I or II. Type I projects may need more support, financial and expertise.
   Type II may already have funding, but just need help getting data.

There is also a chance that the deadline will be extended, but either way we
are accumulating the content now and a coherent draft should be evolving
now.

Thanks again for your contributions, we are really looking forward to this
collaboration.. I've also added this conversation to the wiki discussion
page<http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Talk:Air_Quality_Information_System_and_GEOSS:_India_Air_Quality_and_CATHALAC_Applications#Draft_inputs_for_GEO_Proposal_--_Sethi_15:56.2C_29_May_2009_.28EDT.29>and
we can continue idea evolution there as well.

Erin

--
Erin Robinson
Graduate Research Assistant