[ESIP-AQ] Creating community infrastructure by connecting networks

Stefan Falke stefan.falke at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 16:25:22 EDT 2009

Hi ESIP AQWG,

As we know, there is activity, talk and plans about several AQ 'networks'
supported by NASA and EPA, such as

   - HTAP (EPA, NASA).
   - Exceptional Event (NASA, EPA)
   - Atmospheric Composition Portal (NASA, DLR)
   - Cyberinfrastructure for AQ (EPA)
   - Exchange Network (EPA)
   - etc....

These projects and their 'networks' are independently mandated activities
with diverse purposes, such as support for AQ management, policy or science
with corresponding diversity of clients. However, there is a commonality
among these efforts in the need to access, process and transmit AQ-relevant
data supplied by many providers and used in many applications. Together they
could form the initial stages of an air quality community infrastructure.

We sense a real opportunity here to pursue a common data sharing
infrastructure; a persistent, standards-based network for publishing,
discovering and accessing AQ-relevant data across these networks, a la
GEOSS. Many, if not all, of the networks are pursuing standards-based
infrastructures to meet their objectives. The development of these
infrastructures would benefit from a shared understanding of each network's
infrastructure and how they connect in a common infrastructure.
The ESIP AQWG, as a Community of Practice, could help in

   - working with the networks to develop ways to share infrastructure
   descriptions
   - assisting in the development of interoperability connections among the
   networks in the common infrastructure
   - reviewing and testing the interoperability across the common
   infrastructure

Does this seem like a reasonable role for the ESIP AQWG? We can discuss
further during our regular telecons, on the wiki, and via email...

Best regards,
Stefan & Rudy