[ESIP-AQ] Fwd: need information, please

Rudolf Husar rhusar at me.wustl.edu
Mon Sep 14 12:25:40 EDT 2009

Thannks Chris,

Looks like a good mach with the activities of AirNOW and AirNow
International.

Rudy

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 5:32 PM, Christopher Lynnes
<Chris.Lynnes at nasa.gov>wrote:

> Thought this might be of interset to the AQ cluster...
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
>  From: claudio cortes <ccortes at CENMA.CL>
>> Date: September 14, 2009 10:40:07 AM EDT
>> To: "GRADSUSR at LIST.CINECA.IT" <GRADSUSR at LIST.CINECA.IT>
>> Subject: need information, please
>>
>> Hi GraDS Users (and sorry for the semi-off topic)
>>
>> I'm meteorologist of the National Environment Center, Chile. In the
>> principal city of Chile (Santiago) and in another cities of the
>> country, the PM10 problem in winter and Tropospheric Ozone in Summer
>> is critical. Therefore, in winter, the goverment takes actions to
>> control the emissions and protect the people against the PM10,
>> depending of the meteorological and PM10 forecast made by us.
>> Now, we are in campaign of update our forecast system, and my work is
>> find another institutions who works with PM10 and Ozone forecast
>> systems and know how works, tools used, work way, monitoring systems,
>> models used and his accuracy. So, I need your help, if any of you
>> works in some institution dedicated to the forecast of particulate
>> matter and ozone, please answer me the next questions (and send me
>> additional info if you want)
>>
>> 1.- Institution name (organization, who depends, financing, etc.)
>> 2.- Country
>> 3.- Forecast zone (extension and number of monitoring stations)
>> 4.- Number of people working in the forecast
>> 5.- Official way to measure the air quality in your zone (pm10:
>> average of next 0 to 23 hours of tomorrow, pm10: max movable average
>> of 24 hours for tomorrow, pm10: average of 6AM of tomorrow to 6AM of
>> past tomorow, etc... and ozone)
>> 6.- Models used (linear regression, mos, neural networks,
>> physics-chemical models, etc.) and his accuracy (what model is
>> recommended by you?)
>> 7.- Other institutions involved in the forecast and his role in this work
>> 8.- The local goverment takes actions before critical events of
>> pollution ? (what kind of actions?)
>> 9.- Long-term actions in your zone to reduce the pollution.
>> 10.- Cost of implement your forecast system in another place (eg,
>> another country), including monitoring stations, equiments, etc.
>>
>> The end of this study is recommend to the goverment improvements to
>> our forecast system (governed by law), improvements who involving
>> better accuracy and, therefore, more efficient protection to the
>> people.
>>
>> This info will be helpful for my study, and if you have any
>> complementary information just send me. I will share the results of
>> this study with the list.
>> Thank you very much GrADS Users !.
>>
>> --
>> Claudio Cortes
>> +56 (2) 2994121
>>
>> Meteorologo
>> Laboratorio de Meteorologia y Calidad de Aire
>> Centro Nacional del Medio Ambiente (CENMA)

>> Claudio Cortes
> [...]

Rudolf B. Husar, Professor and Director
Center for Air Pollution Impact and Trend Analysis (CAPITA),
Washington University,
1 Brookings Drive, Box 1124
St. Louis, MO 63130
314 935 6099