[ESIP-AQ] Invitation to Participate to EGU 2012 GI3.5 Session on Electromagnetic sensing techniques and geophysical methods for critical and transport infrastructures monitoring and diagnostics

Lorenzo Bigagli bigagli at imaa.cnr.it
Mon Jan 9 07:51:31 EST 2012

Dear Colleagues,

we are very pleased to announce that, in the framework of the next European Geosciences Union General Assembly, to be held in Wien, Austria, from the 22nd to the 27th of April 2012, we are organizing the GI3.5 Session, entitled " Electromagnetic sensing techniques and geophysical methods for critical and transport infrastructures monitoring and diagnostics"
http://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2012/session/9129.

This session will be an opportunity for researcher and engineers to share and exchange their experiences and results related to the electromagnetic sensing techniques and geophysical methods applied to transport infrastructure monitoring. We hope that it might be of potential interest for you and your co-workers. So we would like to encourage you to participate and contribute to the success of this session.

Topics will include: State of art and novel instrumentation, sensing techniques, as well as data processing approaches; Sensor cross validation, synergy and data fusion and correlation schemes; Integration of electromagnetic technologies with new ICT information and telecommunications systems; Numerical simulations of infrastructure behavior.

We already organized this Session at EGU General Assembly 2011, with great success. After the event, a selection of contributions dealing with the theme of our Session and also the session untitled “From Artefact to Historical Site : Geoscience and Non-Invasive Methods for the Study and Conservation of Cultural Heritage” have been selected to be published, as extended papers, on a special issue of the IOP journal “Journal of Geophysics and Engineering”. We hope that, even for the 2012 event, we will receive many interesting contributions. It is foreseen that contributions presented during the Session will be selected for a special issue on an international journal, where extended articles will be published.

The strict deadline for one-page abstract submission is the 17th of January 2012.

In case you would like to apply for a financial support (http://meetings.copernicus.org/egu2012/support_and_distinction/financial_support.html), please submit no later than the 15th of December 2011.

Detailed information on how to submit an abstract can be found at the following address: http://meetings.copernicus.org/egu2012/abstract_management/how_to_submit_an_abstract.html.

Our Session webpage shows a link to the Abstract Submission System. Using this link, you are asked to log in to the Copernicus Office Meeting Organizer, and you may submit it. The text of your contribution may be written as plain text, in LaTeX, or by using MS Word. Please pay attention to the First Author Rule. An Abstract Processing Charge (APC) of € 40 has to be paid for each submission.

You may find further information on the conference Website at:
http://meetings.copernicus.org/egu2012 .

Please feel free to forward this message to colleagues who might be interested.

We are looking forward to see you in Wien!!

Best wishes and regards,

Francesco Soldovieri, Lorenzo Bigagli, Sven Nordebo and Jean Dumoulin

GI3.5: Electromagnetic sensing techniques and geophysical methods for critical and transport infrastructures monitoring and diagnostics

Convener: J. Dumoulin

Co-Conveners: F. Soldovieri, L. Bigagli, S. Nordebo

Abstract Submission

The critical and transport infrastructure are susceptible to the consequences of natural disasters and also sensitive to human-induced/man-made/anthropogenic disasters. In many cases, the large extent and complexity of the infrastructure, its physically dispersed and decentralized nature, the many public and private entities involved in its operations, the critical importance of cost considerations, and the inherent requirement of convenient accessibility to its services by all users - make the infrastructure particularly vulnerable to security and safety threats.

On the other hand, interdependencies exist between the sectors based on the critical infrastructures (energy, transport, communication,..) and nearly every other sector of the economy, and the effective operation of these systems is essential to the national and transnational economic productivity and society aspects.

In this framework, it is of timely interest a research activity aiming to the development and implementation of non-destructive electromagnetic monitoring systems based on ICT and sensor technologies. The overall aim is to provide emergency and disasters stakeholders with high situation awareness by means of real time and detailed information and images of the infrastructure status.

Therefore, the session will be concerned with several main aspects relative to the integrated and non invasive monitoring of the infrastructure as:

a) State of art and novel instrumentation, sensing techniques, as well as data processing approaches to perform high resolution diagnostics and monitoring. In particular, some of the sensing technologies of interest will be (but not only) : optic fiber sensors, Synthetic Aperture Radar satellite platform based, hyperspectral spectroscopy, Infrared thermography, Ground Penetrating Radar, low-frequency geophysical techniques, Ground based systems for displacement monitoring, sonic and ultrasonic sensors, capacitive tomography

b) Sensor cross validation, synergy and data fusion and correlation schemes that are crucial for the set-up of a multi-method, multi-resolution and multi-scale electromagnetic detection and monitoring of surface and subsurface changes of the infrastructure.

c) Integration of electromagnetic technologies with new ICT information and telecommunications systems enables remotely controlled monitoring and surveillance and real time data imaging of the critical infrastructures.

d) Numerical simulations of infrastructure behavior under sudden events or other external solicitation and connection with sensing techniques measurements.

---
Lorenzo Bigagli, Ph.D.
National Research Council of Italy
Institute of Methodologies for Environmental Analysis (CNR-IMAA)

a: Area della Ricerca di Potenza, Contrada Santa Loja
   Zona Industriale, I-85050 Tito Scalo (PZ), Italy
t: +39 0971 427221
f: +39 0971 427222
m: bigagli at imaa.cnr.it