[Esip-citationguidelines] Contribution vs Credit vs Authorship for software – Daniel S. Katz's blog

Parsons, Mark parsom3 at rpi.edu
Thu Jan 24 18:30:23 EST 2019

Good stuff. You should post a comment on Dan’s blog.

cheers,

-m.

On 24 Jan 2019, at 09:41, Matthew Mayernik <mayernik at ucar.edu<mailto:mayernik at ucar.edu>> wrote:

And a paper, https://doi.org/10.2218/ijdc.v11i1.357.  One of the things we note, however, in our paper is that movie credits are a highly regulated form of credit. Most of the credit designations in movies are mediated by unions, guilds, etc. For example, screenwriting credits for hollywood movies have to be reviewed and approved by the Screenwriters Guild. To move in that direction within science would require the creation of analogous forms of institutionalized mediation.

Another relevant point here is that this kind of approach was discussed at the American meteorological society meeting a few weeks ago and there was significant pushback, particularly by senior scientists. In specific, the concern cited most strongly was that it could make it harder for students, e.g. if a PI has an idea for a study that is then carried out and written up by a student, would the student be penalized when trying to get a job for not being the originator of the idea? In other words, there can be a double edge sword for transparency around work roles. Exposing that specific people contributed to tasks that are not conventionally considered to be important could a) raise the status of those tasks, or b) reduce the importance of the people doing those tasks. I would not be willing to make a prediction about which way the scale would tilt between those two.

My point is that anything authorship-related is complicated, and hard to influence in a straight-forward way.

Matt

Matt

[https://ipmcdn.avast.com/images/icons/icon-envelope-tick-green-avg-v1.png]<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>     Virus-free. www.avg.com<http://www.avg.com/email-signature?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail>
<x-msg://18/#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>