[Esip-citationguidelines] DOIs for data at multiple repositories

Matthew Mayernik mayernik at ucar.edu
Wed Jan 30 12:56:58 EST 2019

Bruce, good points about the different purposes for citation leading to
different needs for granularity. In library-land, this is the classic
work/edition/item challenge. Do you want to cite/find the work, e.g. Don
Quixote, or the edition, e.g. the 2003 translation of Don Quixote published
by Ecco, or the item, e.g. the copy of the 2003 transition of Don Quixote
that I have sitting on my bookshelf at home?

The answer is, it depends. Sometimes you just want the work, sometimes you
want a specific edition, and sometimes you want an exact item. I personally
like these two examples of why these levels matter sometimes.
Cloud Atlas - https://doi.org/10.17613/M63S4H
Wicked bible - https://doi.org/10.1177/004057368003700311 (paywalled, but
you can see the first page and get the idea)

Ideally the metadata and retrieval systems can allow disambiguation at all
levels. But this is really hard. Library catalogers have struggled with
this for 100+ years. There was a big update to the standard cataloging
rules around 2010 to try to do this better, and nobody was really
satisfied.

For data, in my view, starting simple is the way to go. Having people cite
the data that they used, from wherever they got them, is a useful first
step.

Matt