[Esip-cloud] June telecon announcement

James Coll jamesmcoll at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 18:45:45 EDT 2023

Welcome to June, Cloud Computing Cluster!
While we look forward to next month's ESIP summer meeting, we have this
month's knowledge sharing session to tide us over.  This month we're
pleased to have Matt Rocklin, CEO of Coiled.io and early member of the
PANGEO team to talk about lessons learned scaling Dask clusters in the
cloud.  Finally, in the last 15 minutes of the knowledge sharing session
we'd like to have an open conversation about when it makes sense to allow
presentations on behalf of a specific company and their solution.

*Read the abstract and meeting agenda below.*

*Meeting Logistics!*
*Topic*: Dask and Coiled: Python on Cloud Infrastructure
*When*: Monday June 26th, 10:00-11:00 am PT / 1:00-2:00 pm ET / 7pm CEST

*Where*: Find joining information on
https://www.esipfed.org/get-involved/community-calendar

*Abstract*:
In this talk we'll discuss Dask, an open source library for parallel
computing in Python, and Coiled, a service to deploy Dask efficiently on
cloud infrastructure. Dask makes it easy to parallelize Python code, either
your own custom code, or through integrations with common libraries
(pandas, numpy, xgboost, xarray, ..). While Dask is used in a broad set of
applications, in this talk we'll mostly focus on applications in the Pangeo
ecosystem, a set of tools (Xarray, Dask, Zarr, and others) that make it
easy to perform earth science applications at scale. Coiled makes it easy
to manage cloud infrastructure. Coiled came out of many experiments running
Dask clusters on cloud infrastructure. We found that users had trouble
managing software package versions, cloud credentials, managing idle
clusters, managing users, and predicting and constraining costs. The Coiled
platform was developed as a centralized service to deploy Dask clusters in
a way that addressed these issues. We hope to show that, with these two
technologies, we've found a good way to enable the vast majority of Python
users to run their analyses at scale.

*Agenda*:
* 5-10 minutes - Announcements: Working sessions, ESIP Summer Meeting
Announcements, Open Call for other announcements
* 20 minutes - Presentation
* 15 minutes - Q at A
* 15 minutes - Open Conversation: What sort of presentations would the
cluster like to invite?

 Looking forward to seeing you there!
*ESIP Cloud Computing Cluster Committee*

More about ESIP: https://www.esipfed.org/
More about the Cloud Computing Cluster:
https://wiki.esipfed.org/Cloud_Computing
The ESIP summer meeting: https://www.esipfed.org/meetings