[Esip-communityresilience] Updates: New Community Fellow, ESIP winter meeting, cross-cluster connections

Arika Virapongse av at middlepatheco.com
Thu Nov 7 15:18:36 EST 2019

Hello all!

Community fellow
I would like to introduce you to Zachary Robbins, who will be joining our
cluster as a Community Fellow. As you can see from a description of his
interests and work (below), he is very well aligned with the cluster. We
look forward to having him on board!

ESIP winter meeting 2020
We will be developing a poster of our problem statement
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FuutWuqssXYc7gLRl1zsNAIYwaZ9GlbvxCPtIQ4
Duww/edit?usp=sharing>  for the meeting, so we can elicit feedback from the
broader ESIP community. Please contact me if you would like to be involved
as a co-author on the poster.

Cross-cluster connections
One of our goals is to foster cross-cluster collaboration across ESIP. To
advance this goal, each month we are sitting in on targeted cluster calls to
introduce our goals and invite them to comment on our problem statement. If
you have an idea of a cluster that we should connect with (or would like to
introduce our cluster yourself), let me know!

Communication
We do have an ESIP Slack channel for the cluster - #communityresilience.
Slack is an easy way to stay connected and check in with the group without
having to keep track of emails. Please join!

Our next cluster meeting is on Nov 20th at 2PM MT. Hope to connect with you
there!

Best,
Arika

"I am a Ph.D. Student at North Carolina State University studying natural
disturbances in forests under various future climates. My skillset generally
focuses on integrating different data sources on climate, vegetation, soils,
and human behavior to make forecasting models about the probability of
future forest disturbances. I currently work with the U.S. Forest Service in
the Southern Appalachians to understand how fire probabilities may change
under drier future conditions and the larger ecological ramifications. I am
also working with Los Alamos National Lab and the University of California
system to understand how future climate will impact the likelihood of
tree-killing bark beetle eruptions in the Sierra Nevada and how that may
impact the intensity or frequency of fires in the future.
ŠMuch of my work is adjacent to the risk assessment and resiliency
infrastructure that this cluster aims to improve on. One of my goals within
my Ph.D. is to better the way we disseminate the data-dense processes to the
larger public. I think data access and utilization is a particular challenge
facing the climate resiliency movement and that the structures set forth by
this group would do much to improve it. I look forward to having a greater
understanding of building this resiliency framework and engaging communities
from the ground up.² - Zachary Robbins, Community Fellow for the Community
resilience cluster

Arika Virapongse, Ph.D.
Principal Scientist, Middle Path EcoSolutions
Research Scholar, The Ronin Institute
www.MiddlePathEco.com