[Esip-cor] Digging into ESIP Summer COR feedback

Mcgibbney, Lewis J (398M) lewis.j.mcgibbney at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Aug 6 18:24:28 EDT 2019

Hi Folks,
During the COR meeting I offered to take a look at the content captured in the ‘Needs from COR’ section of our summer meeting notes [0] and distill into something we can begin to work with. The bulleted list below represents my attempt to do that. Note, we also mentioned that some ranking needs to take place hence why I have not numbered the list.

Firstly, we need to build on our use cases [1] and we need to do this by inviting stakeholders to our telecon’s where we can mine their use cases for 30 minutes. We can then convert these in to requirements and eventually these will drive our software engineering activities. The first person we are going to invite is Mark Schildhauer. We will reach out in due course.

New Use Cases

  *   If you go to the EMBL-OLS it is a very user friendly and useful representation of a term that also allows exploring related terms. Similarly, with ONTOBEE. In COR we don’t see any of that.
  *   The scientist/researchers need some accessible representation of an ontological term to better understand the value of semantics. Is the vision of COR to engage with the research scientists in this way (e.g. that those scientists dereference their terms through COR)?
  *   There’s a critical need for at least some more researcher-useful representation of the term when a SWEET URI (or any URI) is dereferenced
All three above are very similar

  *   COR should offer the capability for users to query named-graphs
  *   COR is an enabler. We should focus on the API to enable tools and APIs to use it. E.g. API-enabled tagging, cross-referencing, etc.
  *

Development Work

  *   Carlos suggests we look at https://mmisw.org/cfsn as simple more human-useful UI of a term
  *   The Use Cases in [1] need to be linked to the requirements
  *   We need to show how queries can be federated across SPARQL datastores. This stems from comments relating to “…bringing some data over from MMI ORR (https://mmisw.org/ont), where it is not as readily discovered.”

Public Outreach

  *   Put simply, some of the ‘easy’ things/functionality apparently needs to be advertised more. Right now, COR is not user friendly.
  *   This is where John and Megan can provide some direction≥

[0] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1A1kWKDrDQt3bi5C_PAgGfP3TOcPA7T5N-yROMZ_bqRQ/edit#heading=h.5lguk4m9ialm
[1] https://esipfed.github.io/stc/UseCases/STCUseCasesAndRequirements.html#UseCases

Dr. Lewis John McGibbney Ph.D., B.Sc.(Hons)
Data Scientist III
Computer Science for Data Intensive Applications Group (398M)
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
California Institute of Technology
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena, California 91109-8099