[Esip-datareadiness] Fwd: AI for Good – What it will take for AI to work with geospatial data?

Douglas Rao - NOAA Affiliate douglas.rao at noaa.gov
Mon Jan 24 09:47:02 EST 2022

Dear all,

I hope you all had a great weekend! Thanks to those who attended our
AI-Ready data session on Tuesday last week during the ESIP January Meeting.
I will have a follow-up email when the session recordings are available for
public viewing in case you are not able to attend the session.

Meanwhile, I would like to reshare this AI for Good event shared by Stephen
in ESIP Slack (you can join using this link
<https://join.slack.com/t/esip-all/shared_invite/zt-11w51pfev-c2TfBpWL17AxXruC7tPmVw>
).

*What it will take for AI to work with geospatial data?*

https://aiforgood.itu.int/event/what-it-will-take-for-ai-to-work-with-geospatial-data/
> Geospatial artificial intelligence (GeoAI) is the amalgamation of AI with
> spatial computing to develop a better understanding, using geospatial data,
> of the physical world around us at the levels of an individual,
> communities, cities, nations, and the planet. This tech-talk will cover the
> differences between geospatial and typical AI problems from computer vision
> and language processing. It will explain why most of those AI algorithms do
> not work well with geospatial data highlighting its unique geospatial
> features like autocorrelation, geometric nature, and multiple modalities.
> GeoAI can bring significant benefits to drive the next generation of
> service innovation in applications from autonomous transportation to
> sustainable smart cities to soil sustainability, and others. The talk will
> present a few use cases that align with the UN Sustainable Development
> Goals.

Best,
Douglas
--
Douglas Rao (he/him/his)
North Carolina State University <http://www.ncsu.edu>

douglas.rao at noaa.gov
+1.828.271.4903
Phone is currently not monitored during teleworking.

"Every individual matters. Every individual has a role to play. Every
individual makes a difference.” – *Dr. Jane Goodall*