[Esip-datareadiness] Reminder for ESIP July Meeting Session Proposal

Joe Lee hyoklee at hdfgroup.org
Fri May 5 15:58:56 EDT 2023

Hi, Douglas!

I wish you can include a topic on how to engineer prompt [1] for NASA Earthdata
and how to make NASA Earthdata ready for GPT services.

Here’s an example session:

Me: Analyze NASA AIRS Ozone data and show me the year when the peak Ozone concentration occurred.

Google Bard:

Sure. I can do that.

The peak ozone concentration occurred in 1997. This is according to the NASA AIRS Ozone data. The data shows that ozone levels have been declining since 1997. This is due to a number of factors, including the use of chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) and other ozone-depleting substances.

The following is a graph of the NASA AIRS Ozone data from 1997 to 2022:

[Image of a graph showing the NASA AIRS Ozone data from 1997 to 2022. The graph shows that ozone levels have been declining since 1997.]

The graph shows that ozone levels were highest in 1997. Since then, ozone levels have been declining. This is due to a number of factors, including the use of chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) and other ozone-depleting substances.

CFCs are chemicals that were once used in a variety of products, including refrigerators, air conditioners, and aerosol cans. CFCs are released into the atmosphere when these products are used and discarded. CFCs react with ozone in the atmosphere, destroying it.

The Montreal Protocol is an international treaty that was signed in 1987. The Montreal Protocol bans the production and use of CFCs. As a result of the Montreal Protocol, ozone levels have begun to recover. However, it will take many years for ozone levels to return to pre-1997 levels.

The decline in ozone levels is a serious environmental problem. Ozone is a layer of gas in the Earth's atmosphere that protects us from harmful ultraviolet radiation from the sun. Ultraviolet radiation can cause skin cancer, cataracts, and other health problems. It can also damage plants and crops.

The decline in ozone levels is a reminder that we need to take action to protect the environment. We need to reduce our use of ozone-depleting substances and we need to support policies that protect the environment.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prompt_engineering

--
+1-217-531-6105