[Esip-dds] DDS telecon notes, next steps

Anne Wilson anne.wilson at lasp.colorado.edu
Thu Mar 21 20:13:14 EDT 2013

Hi all,

Thank you for a good telecon today!  Here are the notes and other
materials: http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Telecon_03.21.13_materials.

Highlights:

We agreed on a working version of our cluster mission statement:
http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Cluster_mission_statement.

We discussed the summer panel discussion, which would help determine
possible scopes for the Survey.  Carol/Erin (that interesting two-headed
being ;)) may make this a plenary session. The outcome would be a white
paper that summarizes what was learned and helps to frame a potential
workshop to held subsequently that would include representatives from
beyond ESIP.

We are thinking of two parts to that session: a presentation from one or
more "visionaries of data" to help us think in new ways, followed by the
panel discussion itself.  We have a wiki page for planning the session
here: http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/Summer_2013_panel_discussion.
Please contribute!!

I have also proposed a follow on working group session at the summer
meeting to discuss what was learned from the panel discussion and how to
move forward with that information, including writing the white paper.

So, our tasks for the next month is to write the abstract for the panel
discussion, identify a visionary (or two) to invite, and identify
agencies and eventually individuals to invite to participate in the
panel discussion.

Thanks again for your interest and participation!

Anne