[Esip-dds] report on meeting w/ Dan Baker

Anne Wilson anne.wilson at lasp.colorado.edu
Mon May 13 19:34:18 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I met with Dan Baker this morning.  (For those that don't know, Dan is
the director of my lab, LASP.  He also chaired the Heliophysics Decadal
Survey that was released last August.)  He remains very supportive, is
available on July 10 (the date of our panel discussion), and it sounded
like he just might say yes to serving on the panel.

Also, he brought up two points in particular:

An argument in favor of a DDS is that all these organizations and
projects are being tasked to do better in their data management, but
they are on their own as to how to do it.  A DDS would be a *community*
response to these directives, as opposed to a political effort, and one
which could save resources in the long run.

Also, he described the process of a Decadal Survey as being demanded by
Congress.  It would help to find a member of the House or Senate, or a
key member of their staff, to get on board.  Do you know of anyone in
either who has a passion for a topic like this?  Or, perhaps someone who
had an issue or accident in their state around data access, perhaps
something that could have gone better if data was easier to find and use?

Food for thought.

I'll follow with a message on voting to create our final list of invitees.

Anne