[Esip-dds] Time to vote! Poll closes Thursday

Anne Wilson anne.wilson at lasp.colorado.edu
Wed May 22 19:48:45 EDT 2013

Thanks for chiming in, Mark.  And, Chris, thanks for your thoughtful
points of last week.  I especially appreciate the listing of trends.
Paul, thanks for your thoughts on the matter and keeping us grounded.

I also wish we would think as creatively as possible at this early stage
because, like Chris, I fear that we won't be prepared for what's coming
and opportunities might be missed.   I find myself itching to hear
someone tell a story of what science could be if we stewarded our data
better across domains, given trends like Chris listed.  I think that
would help motivate the effort.  And, I'd rather the Survey study
committee (is that the right term?) skip options because they chose not
to pursue them for thoughtful reasons (e.g., lack of resources, or a
trend that is considered not viable/useful/whatever), rather than
because they simply weren't considered.

Of course, I do also want the effort to result in something practical
and actionable.  I'm still not sure how to synthesize the two within the
constraints of the summer meeting...

Btw, our telecon is tomorrow, 3:00 ET.  Then I'll provide an update on a
few developments.   I'll send out a reminder beforehand with WebEx info.

Anne

On 5/22/13 12:02 PM, Parsons, Mark wrote:
> I'm late (again) to this conversation but it's quite intriguing. I think Chris is on to something. While I agree we don't just want TED talks and that we do want action, I also think it is critical that the survey explicitly address the trends that Chris outlined. I think there is an argument that the data management and info science community as a whole is not thinking creatively enough about the challenges we face. On the flip side, we are also subject  to distraction by the latest shiny trend ("big data" anyone?). A *decadal* survey will need to consider that things are changing both fast (technology) and slow (academia) and will need to take the broad view Chris advocates while still making practical recommendations. I guess I'm saying, I like the two panel approach.
>
> Regarding speakers from outside our discipline, I can see arguments both ways. I will say, however, one of the highlights of my career was giving an invited talk on polar data sharing at a mouse genomics data conference. I and I think the participants gained new insights into core problems by seeing them with new eyes. There was also a bit of the comfort of knowing that others are grappling with the same problems. The conference even resulted in a Nature article.
>
> cheers,
>
> -m.
> On May 14, 2013, at 7:51 AM, "Uhlir, Paul" <PUhlir at nas.edu> wrote:
>
>> Chris, I like the idea of two panels, if we can swing it. If not, one visionary would be enough to set the tone, but other speakers need to be more focused on the process, since we are not solving the problems but discussing how to best approach them. The study committee itself will need to take the big picture into account.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Paul

 me.