[Esip-disasters] FW: AGU Session proposals now open

Moe, Karen (GSFC-4070) karen.moe at nasa.gov
Mon Apr 20 15:44:31 EDT 2015

Here’s a new version based on initial comments. I anticipate submitting to the NH group and learned that we needed to distinguish our session and this new title does it. The phrase about methods for evaluating the utility of data products encompasses the ESIP disasters testbed. Comments still welcome!
Karen

Title: Small Satellites to Crowdsourcing—Evolving Technology for Natural Hazards

Abstract: Observational data from remote sensing measurements have contributed significantly to improvement in our understanding of natural hazards and have proven inherently useful for disaster management. Small satellites, crewed aircraft and drones, as well as in situ sensors and crowdsourcing content, are increasingly being used for monitoring disasters and supporting mitigation, in addition to relief efforts. Reliable and efficient cyberinfrastructure is key to providing accurate, timely information in the context of a Common Operating Picture for disaster responders. Remote sensing data products are also proving critical to forecasters and natural hazard researchers. This interdisciplinary session seeks contributions detailing research into new sensors and techniques for applications to natural hazards; techniques for detecting and monitoring disaster events, and producing and delivering near-realtime products to first responders; methods for evaluating the utility of data products; and the development of models and tools for assessing hazard risks and generating damage assessment products.