[Esip-disasters] ESIP Disaster Lifecycle Cluster Telecon this Thursday September 3 @1 pm PT, 4 pm ET

Bob Chen bchen at ciesin.columbia.edu
Thu Sep 3 16:54:35 EDT 2015

Emily et al.--

Per today's discussion, here is the link to the new SEDAC Hazard
Mapper:

http://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/mapping/hazards/

Note that when a layer is displayed, a link appears in the bottom of
the map that has a live link to the metadata. SEDAC metadata include a
tab specifically for "Map Services" which provides the details needed
to access the map services from your own client.

The population estimation functions are accessible from the polygon
and circle in the top left. Using these tools, you can estimate the
total population living within a user-defined polygon or a circle
around any point. This is based on our existing Pop Estimation
Service, which supports WPS, REST, and SOAP.

As you zoom in, the blue circles representing the number of major dams
and reservoirs disaggregate, until you finally get to individual
facilities with associated attributes and imagery. The nuclear power
plants have quite a bit of historical power production data as well.
Live feeds are also displayed from existing services provided by NASA,
USGS, and NOAA.

As I mentioned, we are working on an iOS app with similar functions
but tailored to a mobile device, taking advantage of location
services.

Comments and suggestions for new data layers would be appreciated! I
or one of our developers (several cc'd) would certainly be happy to
demo this at a future telecon.

Cheers, Bob

*****
Dr. Robert S. Chen
Director, Center for International Earth Science Information Network
  (CIESIN), The Earth Institute, Columbia University
Manager, NASA Socioeconomic Data and Applications Center (SEDAC)
P.O. Box 1000, 61 Route 9W, Palisades, NY 10964 USA
tel. +1 845-365-8952; fax +1 845-365-8922
e-mail: bchen at ciesin.columbia.edu
CIESIN web site: http://www.ciesin.columbia.edu
SEDAC web site: http://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu