[Esip-disasters] Recent activities with the AHC and ESIP and upcoming events

Moe, Karen (GSFC-407.0)[EMERITUS] karen.moe at nasa.gov
Fri Feb 24 15:38:44 EST 2017

Hello!

Our next Disasters cluster telecom is tentatively scheduled for March 2 at 1pm pacific/4pm eastern, our regular time. I believe that Bob Chen and Dave Jones will be leading the meeting in my absence.

Tentatively planned for March 27, 1-4pm eastern, is a webinar with AHC to discuss their use cases: 1) situational awareness, 2) resource (fleet) movement and 3) damage assessment. Please mark your calendars as this would be an excellent chance to hear from decision makers in the field about what happens and what information they need.

Then on March 30, the 5th Thursday at our regular time, we’re scheduled for a special conference call to discuss the definition/characteristics of what ESIP trusted data means.

Since 2/10, I’ve been attending weekly telecom with the All Hazards Consortium’s new advisory group on Use Cases for data-driven decision making. Erin’s presentation gave good background to the AHC & ESIP goals/activities. See notes and file slides from our last telecom Feb 9 http://wiki.esipfed.org/index.php/DisasterLifecycle_telecon_2017-02-09 And while you’re at it, the notes and presentations for the 2017 Winter meeting have also been posted to our website!

At today’s call we discussed Usability evaluation (from Kari Hicks/Duke Energy) and Use Case development, and how these will be incorporated into the group’s use case strategy plan, all to be presented at the next 3DM workshop on April 13 in NYC. See the attachments. These two approaches are very complementary. Tom Moran is tentatively scheduling a webinar on March 27 (rescheduled from 2/27) with some of his members who are involved in field operations to discuss the 3 use cases being used to identify candidate ESIP data sets to support decision making.

In a call with Erin and Emily, and Tom from AHC, we discussed a plan for joint AHC & ESIP participation outlined below. Although I won’t be available for the coming conference call on 3/2, I hope you will consider how you might be able to participate. The AHC group is quite motivated and interested in developing a sustainable process for identifying data to support their decision-making needs. For those of us involved in technology infusion and wanting to see that data matters, this is a great opportunity!

Best,
Karen

SISE Use Case Template Advisory Committee – 3DM Process (draft)
• Start with a clear vision statement on the goal, i.e., what the team's process is expected to accomplish
• Develop use cases
–Understanding the scenario from the sector user’s point of view
–Suggest following proven use case template (see http://alistair.cockburn.us/Basic+use+case+template)<http://alistair.cockburn.us/Basic+use+case+template>
• Identify/classify data sets and criteria to rate and rank candidate data sets based on user needs for information (as described in the use cases)
• Test selected data sets in GeoCollaborate
–Iterate with sector users
• Develop a certification scheme for trusted data products
–ESIP has volunteered to to take the lead
• Determine how to make products available when needed